Ability to Schedule Events
If you are the instructor, TA, leader, or assistant for a myWPI course or organization site, you automatically have access to schedule and create Wimba events. If you do not have a myWPI course or organization site, you will need a Wimba Scheduling account.
This document is appropriate for those individuals who have the ability to schedule events. If you are not able to schedule your own events, contact email@example.com to request an event to be scheduled for you, or contact a colleague at WPI who can schedule events.
Setting up a Wimba Event in myWPI
- From your course or organization site, go to Communication > Wimba Classroom.
- Click Create Room on the next page.
- On the next page, enter in your room's title and description.
- Decide whether you want the Presenter's Tools to be available only to Instructors and TAs (Leaders and Assistants in orgs) or whether they should be available to all.
- Click the arrows next to the other options to expand settings and make your selections. For example, if you want to allow guest access (to people who do not have access to the myWPI site), click to expand Access Settings next to Section 5.
- When you are finished with your room settings, click Submit.
- Click OK when you get the receipt indicating your room has been created.
Adding a Wimba Room to a Content Area
- From the Control Panel, select the content area where you want to add a link to your Wimba room.
- From the drop-down menu that by default reads Learning Unit, select Wimba Classroom.
- Click Go.
- On the next page, click the radio button next to Select Room.
- Select your room from the list or click Create Room.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Your room will now be accessible from that content area.
Setting up a Wimba Event through the Admin Website
When you received your Wimba account information from the ATC, you should also have received a web link to your permanent Wimba room. The link for this room will not change and can be bookmarked or saved into an email template if you host a variety of events. Unlike Interwise (WPI's first web conferencing client), this room is always active and you should not need to schedule Wimba rooms for each individual event you host. Because recordings are each accessed using a different URL, playing back event archives should not cause a conflict for participants who were not able to access the event.
If you are part of a group that has access to one Wimba classroom and you have coordinated events that are running at the same time, contact the ATC at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a second meeting room URL for your group.
To obtain the URL for your meeting room if you have forgotten it:
- Log in to the Wimba Admin website using the username and password assigned to you by the ATC.
- From the Rooms tab, locate your room.
- Click the information i below Get Info.
- This will open a new window. Copy the text next to Launcher Link: and paste it into an email, document, web browser address bar, etc. This is the permanent URL for your room. It will not change.
You can also email your participants from the Admin website. From the Rooms tab, click the envelope icon under Invite. Customize the Session Information window and click Next. Your default email application will open with some generic text in the email. You'll note however, that the link for your room is still the same if you use this option.
Last modified: Apr 29, 2009, 11:17 EDT