Leonard P. Kinnicutt Professorship
In 1964, WPI received an extraordinary $5 million bequest from George C. Gordon, Class of 1895. A large portion of the funds was used to build Gordon Library, but the gift also endowed this professorship. Intended to encourage the professional development of younger faculty members, the chair is named for Leonard P. Kinnicutt, the professor who most influenced Gordon’s life. A member of WPI’s civil engineering faculty from 1882 to 1911, Kinnicutt was the first WPI professor to hold a doctorate and the first Worcester native to join the faculty. An expert in sanitary chemistry, his research and consulting work was known worldwide. At WPI, Kinnicutt managed an unofficial financial aid program, helping many students with out-of-pocket loans. Gordon, who credited Kinnicutt with encouraging him to complete his WPI education, spent five years at Wyman-Gordon Co. in Worcester before joining the Park Drop Forge Co. in Cleveland, Ohio, where he eventually became chairman.
Current Recipient: Amy PetersonMaintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: October 07, 2014 09:48:56