- Review of charter: This charter shall be reviewed and reassessed by the Academic Planning Committee at least annually, and any proposed changes shall be submitted to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Membership/Structure/Quorum: The Academic Planning Committee shall consist of five or more members appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Academic Planning Committee shall be appointed by the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Board and the President shall be members ex officio of the Academic Planning Committee. Effective February 2013, two faculty members shall be appointed as full voting members from a slate of four candidates developed by the faculty Committee on Governance (COG), and submitted to the Nominations and Governance Committee. A quorum of any meeting of the Academic Planning Committee shall consist of a majority of its voting members.
- Staff designee: The Chief Academic Officer, or Provost, and his/her designee shall be staff to the Committee.
- Meetings: Meetings shall be held in conjunction with regularly scheduled meetings of the Board, or as deemed necessary by the Chair of the Committee.
- Agenda, minutes and reports: The Chair of the Committee, in collaboration with the staff designee, shall be responsible for establishing the agendas for meetings of the Committee. The Chair and Vice Chair will prepare the agenda informed by input from the other committee members. An agenda, together with relevant materials, shall be made available to the Committee members in advance of each meeting. Minutes for all meetings shall be prepared in draft form by the staff designee and reviewed by the Chair, and shall be approved by the Committee members at the following meeting. The minutes shall be distributed periodically to the full Board of Trustees. The Committee shall make regular reports to the Board of Trustees.
III. Authority and responsibilities: The Committee’s primary responsibilities are as follows:
a) Monitor the academic undergraduate, graduate and professional and research programs for consistency with the Institute’s mission and strategies and matching the demographic trends in enrollments, and recommend how they can be modified and/or strengthened;
b) Ensure that the academic budget reflects the Institute’s priorities. To support this effort, the Budget and Finance Committee and the Academic Planning Committee shall each appoint a member to serve as a liaison to the other committee;
c) Have a member of APC on the Economic Development Committee to ensure that the objectives of both committees are consistent;
d) Assure that policies in the Faculty Handbook are periodically reviewed by the Board;
e) Assure that any policies in the Faculty Handbook affecting or relating to faculty conduct, and any policies bearing on appointment, promotion, tenure, and dismissal, passed by the faculty for placement in the Faculty Handbook are clearly articulated, accessible to faculty members, delineated in the Faculty Handbook, applied systematically and equitably across the Institute, and are approved by the Board before such policies take effect;
f) Recommend faculty candidates for appointment with, or promotion to, tenure status to the Board of Trustees for approval;
g) Monitor the Institute’s assessment of the effectiveness of all of its academic programs, at both the departmental and program level, whether or not an external evaluation is required for professional accreditation purposes;
h) Assure linkages to other Board committees on matters that have an impact on the academic enterprise; and
i) Conduct an annual self-evaluation of the performance of the Committee, and the effectiveness and compliance with this charter.
Approved by the Academic Planning Committee November 2017
Approved by the Nominations & Governance Committee November 2, 2018
Approved by the Board of Trustees November 2, 2018