- Purpose: The purpose of the Student Affairs Committee is to provide broad oversight and policy guidance to promote a safe and supportive learning environment that encourages student academic success, growth, and personal development.
- Review of charter. This charter shall be reviewed and reassessed by the Student Affairs Committee at least annually, and any proposed changes shall be submitted to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Membership/structure/quorum. The Student Affairs Committee shall consist of five or more members appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Student Affairs Committee shall be appointed by the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Board and the President shall be members ex officio of the Student Affairs Committee. Two Faculty appointees shall be members of the Student Affairs Committee. A quorum of any meeting of the Student Affairs Committee shall consist of a majority of its voting members.
- Staff Designee. The Vice President for Student Affairs shall serve as the primary staff to the Committee.
- Meetings. Meetings will be held in conjunction with regularly scheduled meetings of the Board, or as deemed necessary by the Chair of the Committee.
- Agenda, minutes, reports. The Chair of the Committee, in collaboration with the staff designee, shall be responsible for establishing the agendas for meetings of the Committee. An agenda, together with relevant materials, shall be sent to the Committee members in advance of each meeting. Minutes for all meetings shall be prepared in draft form by the staff designee and reviewed by the Chair, and shall be approved by the Committee members at the following meeting. The minutes shall be distributed periodically to the full Board of Trustees. The Committee shall make regular reports to the Board of Trustees.
- Authority and responsibilities:
The Committee shall have primary responsibility on behalf of the Board of Trustees for bringing student viewpoints and needs to the attention of the Board and Officers of the Institute. The Committee’s primary responsibilities are:
- Representing students' interests in all policy decisions made by the board;
- Maintaining adequate financial and personnel resources to support a comprehensive student affairs program;
- Aligning board policies and priorities with students' changing needs, particularly as the Institute enrolls a more diverse student body;
- Promoting the campus as a safe, caring, just, and ethical community;
- Monitoring the Institute’s assessment of the co-curricular experience, student satisfaction, and career outcomes;
- Monitoring the Institute’s risk management policies and procedures pertaining to the co-curricular student experience; and
- Conducting an annual self-evaluation of the performance of the Committee, and effectiveness and compliance with this charter.
WPI Board of Trustees
100 Institute Road, Worcester, MA 01609-2280 USA
Approved by the Board of Trustees November 4, 2016