|Personal Identification Number (PIN)|
|WPI ID Number|
Usernames and passwords are private information at WPI. It is against the AUP to share them with anyone. It is up to you to keep your passwords secret, and to change them occasionally to keep them as such. Any violation of this may result in the removal of your account at WPI.
Find out how and where to create your accounts, as well as change and reset your passwords.
Learn more about...
UNIX is an operating environment and houses applications used to support coursework and research, as well as many of the network-based services provided to the WPI Community. Your UNIX username can be up to 16 characters long, and may consist of lowercase letters, numbers, and most special characters. It must also be a unique username that nobody else at WPI has. Your UNIX account determines your e-mail address (i.e. John Doe's UNIX account may be jdoe, therefore his e-mail address is email@example.com). Your UNIX account can be created by visiting Banner Web. The Basic UNIX Commands page will help you get started.
The UNIX username and password grant access to:
- E-mail (unless you use one of the Exchange servers for e-mail)
- Personal Web Pages
- UNIX & Linux Systems
- UNIX Terminals around Campus
- Personal Network Share (file storage on WPI's servers)
- All other UNIX applications and software
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) for off-campus secure connections and drive mapping
Oracle is a database management information system. Banner is the tool used to access the information stored in the database. This information includes services for finance, payroll, admissions, financial aid and registration/academic history, and alumni.
There are multiple methods to access the Banner system:
- Banner Web (Self Service): The Oracle web server is the front end for all web connections to our Banner system. All members of the WPI community can use this feature to access information via any web browser. Although this is not an extensive list: Students can register for classes and check grades; Faculty can assign grades, check benefits and contact information, and manage budgets using finance; Staff can access various services such as benefits and contact information, finance, payroll, and admissions (depending on the permissions their position requires). All community members may access the Banner web system by entering their WPI Username and Password or WPI ID number and PIN. Optionally, faculty may use their faculty initials and PIN.
- Banner Forms - Internet Native Banner (INB): This is most often used by Staff to access various services for finance, payroll, admissions, financial aid, registration, academic history, and alumni. Using the Banner client is the best means for data input and management. It requires logging into INB using your ADMIN (Windows) username and password.
WPI Username and Password
The WPI username gives students, faculty and staff access to domain resources such as lab computers, file shares, printers and many software titles. It also supports the Microsoft Exchange e-mail system (exchange.wpi.edu), allowing for the sharing of information (calendars, e-mail, web interface, etc.) over the network. Students will need their WPI ID number and PIN, as well as a UNIX username, to create this account. This username will automatically be the same as the UNIX username, but the password is set separately. This account is also secure, so if the password is typed incorrectly three times, it will be temporarily locked out for a period of 30 minutes. Student may change their Windows account password, or manually unlock their account, using the CCC Windows Account Maintenance Page. Faculty and staff need to contact the Helpdesk to reset their password or unlock their account.
The WINDOWS username and password grant access to:
- CCC Public Labs , Electronic Classrooms & any other computers joined to the Windows domain
- Mapping Network Drives
- Network Software Installs
- E-mail via the WINDOWS Exchange Account
myWPI is WPI's learning and information portal and is located at my.wpi.edu.
First time users must create a UNIX and WINDOWS account to access myWPI. Access to myWPI will be available approximately 1 hour after your accounts are created. The WINDOWS account username and password are used to login to myWPI and they also allow access to public computer labs and other useful systems on campus.
myWPI grants you access to:
- Course Material (Announcements, Discussion Boards, Assignments, Grades, Etc.) (If utilized by the Professor)
- MQP, IQP and Thesis Project group sites (if requested by the project group)
- WPI Organizations (Student clubs, Faculty and Staff working groups that are using myWPI)
- WPI Event Information
A PIN allows access to Banner/Oracle. PINs never expire, but can be disabled if they are entered incorrectly three times into Banner Web. The PIN must be six to twenty alpha-numeric characters. You can reset your PIN on the Account Maintenance page if you know your UNIX password. If you do not know your UNIX password or if you have disabled your PIN, you can use the Reset PIN feature if you have set a security question.
The PIN grants access to:itweb.
Last modified: May 15, 2013, 09:05 EDT