The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org
Graduates a few years out of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Undergraduate Program should:
- be global citizens and stewards for the planet with an appreciation for the interrelationships between basic knowledge, technology, and society, while solving the challenges facing civil engineers in the 21st century.
- be able to apply the fundamental principles of mathematics, science and engineering to analyze and solve problems and to produce creative sustainable design.
- have the ability to engage in life-long learning, enhance their technical skills through graduate studies and continuing education, and through relevant experience.
- exhibit leadership in the civil engineering profession, be engaged in professional societies, demonstrate understanding of ethical responsibility, and have a professional demeanor necessary for a successful civil engineering career.
- Preparation for engineering practice, including the technical, professional, and ethical components.
- Preparation for the future changes in civil engineering.
- A solid understanding of the basic principles of civil engineering.
- An understanding of appropriate scientific concepts, and an ability to apply them to civil engineering.
- An understanding of the engineering design process and an ability to perform engineering design, which includes the multidisciplinary aspects of the engineering design process, the need for collaboration and communications skills, plusthe importance of cost and time management.
- Demonstration of an ability to set up experiments, gather and analyze data, and apply the data to practical engineering problems.
- Demonstration of in-depth understanding of at least one subarea within civil engineering.
- Understanding of options for careers and further education, and the educational preparation necessary to pursue those options.
- An ability to learn independently.
- The broad education envisioned by the WPI Plan, and described by the Goal and Mission of WPI.
An understanding of civil engineering profession in a societal and global context.
Student Enrollment Data
Click here for Engineering student enrollment and graduate data on each program (reference pages 21, 31 and 36).