Washburn Shops, 301
Professor Zhu is an expert in methods of performance evaluation and benchmarking, and his research interests are in the areas of operations and productivity, and performance evaluation and benchmarking, and the method of data envelopment analysis (DEA).
The Industrial Engineer magazine spotlighted research, conducted by Professor Zhu and his collaborators, in which they developed an optimization methodology for measuring efficiency of multistage networks such as supply chains, where certain outputs from the process feed back into the system (e.g., empty bottle returns). Professor Zhu has been developing benchmarking tools for use in service and manufacturing processes. In the summer 2013 issue of Sloan Management Review, Professor Zhu and his collaborator point out that often the results of benchmarking will lead to a major rethinking of past assumptions. Such tools help companies test their assumptions of productivity. The Industrial Engineering (IE) Magazine from the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers also featured Professor Zhu and his research. He is recognized as one of the top 10 authors of DEA-related articles and is among the top 10 authors in DEA with respect to h-index and g-index.
Professor Zhu has published more than 100 peer-reviewed articles in top journals such as Operations Research, Management Science, Sloan Management Review, European Journal of Operational Research, Journal of Operational Research Society, IIE Transactions, OMEGA, Naval Research Logistics, and others. He is a co-editor of the Handbook on Data Envelopment Analysis (1st and 2nd editions), published by Springer. Professor Zhu has published and co-edited seven books on performance evaluation and benchmarking using data envelopment analysis (DEA). He is currently editing four new handbooks on DEA methodology and applications that will be published by Springer.
Professor Zhu is the founding Area Editor of OMEGA in the area of Data Envelopment Analysis, Multicriteria Decision Analysis, and Service Operations. He is an Associate Editor of INFOR and Data Envelopment Analysis Journal. He is an Editorial Board Member of Computers & Operations Research. He also serves as PhD dissertation committee member in Universities around world including China, Canada, Netherland, India, Israel, Austria and other countries.
- Performance Evaluation and Benchmarking
- Sustainable Design and Performance
- Service Operations
- Data Envelopment Analysis
PhD, Industrial Engineering
University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1998
- Sherman, H.D., and Zhu, Joe, Analyzing performance in service organizations: Sloan Management Review, Vol. 54, No. 4 (Summer 2013), 37-42.
- Zhu, Joe, Quantitative Models for Performance Evaluation and Benchmarking: Data Envelopment Analysis with Spreadsheets. 1st edition (2003), 2nd edition (2009), 3rd edition (2014). Springer, New York.
- Cooper, W.W., Seiford, L.M. and Zhu, Joe, Handbook on Data Envelopment Analysis. 1st edition (2004), 2nd edition (2011), Springer, New York.
- Cook, W.D. and Zhu, Joe, Context-dependent assurance regions in DEA, Operations Research, Vol. 56, No. 1 (2008), 69-78.
- Cook, W.D. and Zhu, Joe, Incorporating multi-process performance standards into the DEA framework, Operations Research, Vol. 54, No. 4 (2006), 656-665.
- Published over 100 peer-reviewed articles in top journals including Operations Research, Sloan Management Review, and Management Science
- Over 7,000 total citations based upon Google Scholar.
- Authored and edited more than 10 books published by Springer and Wiley
- Featured articles in Industrial Engineer magazine from the Institute of Industrial Engineers, and in the Industrial Engineering (IE) Magazine from the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers
- Top ranked researcher based upon citation indexes
- Department of Veterans Affairs Grant, Develop composite measure of quality of care
- KPMG Foundation Grant, Hospital quality reporting study
- National Institute of Health Grant, Nursing home productivity study
- William Evans Visiting Fellow, University of Otago, New Zealand
- Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellow
- Area Editor, OMEGA journal
- Associate Editor, INFOR
- Editorial Board Member, Computers & Operations Research