Gateway Park, II 1211
Kathy A. Notarianni
- Associate Professor, Fire Protection Engineering
- Affiliated with:
- Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering
Today, firefighters serve increasingly as first responders for emergency medical calls, civil emergencies, terrorist threats, and hazardous materials incidents, in addition to fire emergencies. The fire service needs tools and technologies that aid in carrying out their ever expanding mission without increasing costs. My research is focused on working with the fire service to achieve this important goal. I am conducting research on fire department mobilization times and exposure of fire fighters to toxic gases. I work with a team that developed and will commercialize a tool that will predict the time remaining till flashover in real time on the fire ground and continuously inform the incident commander. I am directing a multi-year study to determine the best procedural standards and resource allocation to significantly reduce loss of life and property for both firefighters and civilians. We are conducting this work in concert with the International Association of Fire Fighters, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, the Urban Institute, and the Center for Public Safety Excellence with funding from the Department of Homeland Security. Our goal is to enable government agencies and local jurisdictions to establish optimal resource allocation to improve economics, responses, and outcomes. We are working with more than 400 fire departments, compiling detailed demographics of each, along with a database of hundreds of thousands of fire department deployments and outcomes that will be analyzed statistically. The results of this study will save countless firefighter and civilian lives.
- Technologies for the fire service
- Fire detection and suppression
- High-bay fire protection
- Engineering tools
- BS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- MS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- MS, Carnegie Mellon University
- PhD, Carnegie Mellon University
- Evans, D.D.; Walton, W.D.; Notarianni, K.A.; Baum, H.R.; Koseki, H.; Large Fires: Burning of Oil Spills, NIST SP 995, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, March, 2003.
- Notarianni, K.A., "Uncertainty," Chapter 4, Section 5, Handbook of Fire Protection Engineering, 3rd Edition, DiNenno, P.J., Editor, Society of Fire Protection Engineers, 2002.
- Cleary, T.G.; Notarianni, K.A., Distributed Sensor Fire Detection, NIST SP 965; International Conference on Automatic Fire Detection "AUBE' 01," Proceedings, National Institute of Standards and Technology, March 25-28, 2001, 139-150pp, 2001.
- Notarianni, K.A., "Performance and Uncertainty," Book Chapter In, Improving Regulations, Resources for the Future, 2001.
- Davis, W.D., Notarianni, K.A.; Tapper, P.Z., Algorithm for Estimating the Plume Centerline Temperature and Ceiling Jet Temperature in the Presence of a Hot Upper Layer, Journal of Fire Protection Engineering, Vol 10, No 3., pp 23-32, 2000.