Civil and Environmental Engineering
Kaven Hall, 201
Leonard D. Albano
I enjoy teaching civil engineering fundamentals in 1000 and 2000-level courses, and then revisiting those fundamentals in upper level and graduate courses as a base for presenting advanced topics and fostering deeper learning. This emphasis on fundamentals can be challenging to undergraduates because they may not appreciate the relevance. Consequently, I integrate design projects into my undergraduate coursework to provide a context for learning and to emphasize my expectations for learning and actively applying the course material.
I also work to align my approach to MQPs with my classroom philosophy, guiding students to build from their background learning experiences and to integrate new knowledge and skills. The key ideas for an MQP typically come from the students and their motivation to investigate certain aspects of civil engineering. Observing the evolution of an MQP from a few ideas in A term, to a substantial body of work and report by the end of C term is a wonderful experience, and the student energy on Project Presentation Day is invigorating.
- Structural Fire Safety
- Structural Engineering and Performance-based Design
- Integration of Design and Construction
- Structural Engineering Education
- BS, Civil Engineering, Tufts University, 1982
- MS, Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, 1983
- PhD, Structural Engineering, MIT, 1992
- Kim, Y.; Bai, J.W.; and Albano, L.D. 2013. Fragility Estimates of Smart Structures with Sensor Faults. Smart Materials and Structures, 22(12):12 pp.
- Mallick, R.; Carelli, J.; Albano, L.; Bhowmick, S.; and Veeraragavan, A. 2011. Evaluation of the Potential of Harvesting Heat Energy from Asphalt Pavements. International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 4(2): 164–171.
- Richard, M.J.; Albano, L.D.; Kelley, D.; and Liel, A.B. 2010. Case Study on the Seismic Performance of Reinforced Concrete Moment Frames Using ACE Design Provisions. Proceedings, Structures Congress 2010, Orlando, Florida, May 12 – 15, 2010.
- Quinn, K.A. and Albano, L.D. (2008). “Problem-Based Learning in Structural Engineering Education,” Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, 134(4), pp. 329-334.
- Johann, M.A., Albano, L.D., Fitzgerald, R.W., and Meacham, B.J. (2006). “Performance-Based Structural Fire Safety,” Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 20(1), pp. 45-53.
- 2000 Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) Academic Distinguished Leadership Award, 1998
- WPI Trustees Award for Outstanding Teaching,1996
- WPI Tau Beta Pi Award for Academic Advising
- P.E. Registration, Massachusetts
- ASCE, Sigma Xi, Chi Epsilon, and Tau Beta Pi memberships
- AREN 3006. ADVANCED HVAC SYSTEM DESIGN
- CE 2000. ANALYTICAL MECHANICS I
- CE 3006. DESIGN OF STEEL STRUCTURES
- CE 510. STRUCTURAL MECHANICS
- CE 519. ADVANCED STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS
- CE 531. ADVANCED DESIGN OF STEEL STRUCTURES
- CE 534. STRUCTURAL DESIGN FOR FIRE CONDITIONS
- CE 535. INTEGRATION OF DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION