Civil and Environmental Engineering
Kaven Hall, 101
- Professor & Department Head, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Affiliated with:
- Codirector, Morocco Project Center
- Codirector, Panama Project Center
- Interim Department Head of FPE
I enjoy my interactions with students at all levels of education, research, and mentoring, whether it be in the classroom, the lab, or in project work. I especially enjoy taking them to the Morocco Project Center and sharing with them the places where I grew up.
Challenging the students to achieve higher levels of discovery is a thrill for me. This could be in the process of working with ASCE students to design a high-strength cement composite for the concrete canoe, working with MQP groups to design the new WPI Recreational Center or solve problems for the Panama Canal Authority, or working with IQP students in Fes Morocco to assist Moroccan mosaic artisans in developing more sustainable products and designs.
It’s so exciting to be surrounded by such smart and energetic people who are so curious. This job is great!
- High-Performance Concrete
- Fiber Cement Composites
- Pavement Engineering
- Structural Composites
- Materials and Structural Testing
- BS, University of New Hampshire, 1980
- MS, University of New Hampshire, 1982
- PhD, University of New Hampshire, 1987
- Wenyi Gong, Mingjiang Tao, Rajib B. Mallick, Tahar El-Korchi. “Investigation of Moisture Susceptibility of Warm Mix Asphalt (WMA) Mixes Through Laboratory Mechanical Testing,” Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, 2012.
- J.S. Kim, Y. Kim, and T. El-Korchi. Fuzzy Identification of Seismically Excited Smart Systems, Structural Seismic Design Optimization and Earthquake Engineering: Formulations and Applications, IGI-Global, Inc., Nikos Lagaros (ed.). 2011.
- R. Mitchell, Y. Kim, and T. El-Korchi. “Wavelet-Neuro-Fuzzy Control of Hybrid Building-ATMD System Under Seismic Excitations,” Journal of Vibration Control; under review 2011.
- R. Mallick, T. El-Korchi. Pavement Engineering: Principles and Practice, CRC Press– Taylor & Francis Group, 2009.
- H. Toutanji, T. El-Korchi. “Relationship Between the Tensile and Compressive Strength of High Strength Cementitious Composites,” ASTM Journal of Cement, Concrete, and Aggregates, Vol. 18, No. 2, 1996.