Higgins Laboratories, 209
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering
It has been a great pleasure to teach at WPI, a school with motivated students from all over the world. I am teaching engineering mechanics related course such as ES2501 (Statics), ES2502 (Stress Anaylsis), ES2503 (Dynamics), ES3011 (Control Engineering), ME4506 (Vibrations), ME4512 (Finite Elements) at the undergraduate level and ME522 and ME593V (Mechanical Vibrations), ME593M (Numerical Methods for Engineers), ME527 (Advanced Dynamics), and ME531 (Elasticity Theory) at the graduate level. I share the happiness when the students can apply the learned knowledge in their projects and research. I understand the frustration when the students suffer in the learning process and always try my best to help. I like to challenge my students to their maximum ability. I would like to make sure that my students can get their needed apples on a tree but they must jump. I view the teaching is a control process and welcome questions from my students for the valuable feedback.
- Engineering mechanics
- Dynamics and vibration
- Structural health monitoring and control
- Random vibration and structural reliability
- Numerical methods including finite element analysis
- MS, California Institute of Technology, 1985
- PhD, California Institute of Technology, 1990
- Hou, Z., Hera, A., and Noori, M.,“Wavelet-Based Techniques for Structural Health Monitoring,” a book chapter in Health Assessment of Engineered Structures: Bridges, Buildings and Other Infrastructure. (in press)
- Noori, M., Cao, Y., Hou, Z., “Application of Support Vector Machine for Uncertainty Analysis and Structural Health Monitoring,” International Journal of Engineering Under Uncertainty: Hazards, Assessment and Mitigation, Vol. 2(3-4), pp. 89-98, 2010.
- Liu, W. and Hou, Z., “A Computational Scheme for the Optimal Sensor/Actuator Placement of Flexible Structures Using Spatial H2 Measures”, ASME Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 20(2006), 881-895.
- Shinde, A. and Hou, Z. (2005). A Wavelet Packet Based Sifting Process and Its Application for Structural Health Monitoring, Structural Health Monitoring, 2(4), pp. 153-170.
- Hou, Z., Zhou, Y., Dimentberg, M., and Noori, M., “Stochastic Models for Disordered Periodic Processes and Their Applications,” a chapter in Stochastically Excited Nonlinear Structures, Editors: MF Shlesinger and T Swean, World Scientific Press, pp 225-251, 1998.
- Hua Xia Fellowship from Hua Xia Foundation, Hongkong, 1984
- Li Ming Fellowship from California Institute of Technology , 1989
- The Graduate Thesis National Award from The James F. Lincoln Foundation, 1994. (MS. Student: H. Khechfe; Thesis Advisors: Noori and Hou)