Summer 2012 Library Renovations
An extension of the popular Information Commons on the main entrance level will create more seating for students. To accomplish these projects the film collection, audiobooks, best sellers, and audio CDs have moved to the 3rd floor.
The Gordon Library’s recent renovation accomplished more than a simple facelift; it renewed the spirit and soul of this building, so central to the WPI community. Initiated in 2009, the project sought to create engaging and flexible spaces within the Information Commons, dynamically link multimedia and technology to research and teaching, and cultivate innovation by changing the social and technical climate in the facility. Specifically, the following improvements were made to accomplish this end:
- Library management offices and departments were relocated to create expanded group collaboration areas, study spaces, and a Multimedia Lab.
- Three new Tech Suites were created to accommodate additional group collaboration, advisor meetings, and research consultations.
- Structural renovations were made to the second floor to allow for consolidation and relocation of all technology and research support services. The Information Commons now offers users an engaging area in which to study, collaborate, and interact, conveniently located adjacent to the technology Helpdesk, the Academic Technology Center’s Technology for Teaching and Learning (ATC/TTC) desk, and the library café.
- The addition of the Class of 1970’s Café offers users an opportunity to enjoy light refreshments and the company of friends within the library. The café is favorably located next to the Information Commons, adding to the dynamic atmosphere created here.
- Computers, academic software, and networking equipment were redistributed throughout the library for improved accessibility.
- Structural repairs were made to the building to ensure a safe and aesthetically pleasing environment for users.