WPI recognizes the impact the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has on student’s ability to successfully complete the 2020 Frontiers application. We have adjusted our application requirements to accommodate for the current environment. Due to the school district closings, we have made the decision to waive the letter of recommendation and accept unofficial transcripts via their school designated online portal. We understand that obtaining a letter of recommendation and official transcript from a high school may be difficult during this time. We encourage any Frontiers applicants who are having trouble accessing their transcripts to reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us of the situation so that we can work with you individually.
To be eligible students must be entering grades 11 or 12 the following fall.
Applications can be submitted online until May 15, 2020. Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, and admitted students will receive priority placement in their program of choice based on space available at the time of acceptance. Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered on a space-available basis.
How to Apply
Applications are now live! Apply here!
- Completed Frontiers application with $50 application fee.
- An essay of up to 500 words on the topic of "Why I would like to attend the Frontiers program."
- Recommendation Form from your mathematics teacher, science teacher, or guidance counselor. *3.19.20 Coronavirus Adjustment: recommendation is waived as stated above
- Official copy of your most recent high school transcript (including most recent report card) submitted by your guidance counselor or school (Transcripts submitted by students or their family members will not be accepted). Strong consideration is given to students maintaining a “B” average or better in a rigorous academic program, and who have taken or are on track to complete pre-calculus before graduating high school. *3.19.20 Coronavirus Adjustment: transcripts and report cards may be submitted by students via school portal as stated above
- TOEFL score for non-native English speakers (A minimum of 80 is preferred, but can be waived by request).
WPI is a test optional university, so scores for standardized test (PSATs, SATs, ACTs) not required. If a student feels that it would add to their application, they should submit it.
All application support materials should be sent to:
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Pre-collegiate Outreach Programs
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609-2280
Please be sure to include applicant name and date of birth on checks and all supporting materials.
Summer scholarships are available. Please see our webpage here with more details.