WPI is currently seeking corporate partners that would like to join us in supporting several WTHS students with a WPI Lab-Based Co-Op experience. The Co-op, a valuable part of a WTHS student experience, will be offered to a diverse demographic of high-achieving technical high school students for the first time at WPI in Fall 2021. The program will start small with hopes to grow in size and scope over the next few years. And will focus in the area of computer and data science.
The mission of the WPI Apprenticeship Program is to provide STEM-based learning pathways for Worcester Technical High School (WTHS) students who will enter into sought-after technical careers at various levels of employment.
The program offers a years’ long immersion in a Co-op experience with scholarship funding to open new doorways for local students and to increase hands-on exposure to STEM theory and practice for underrepresented populations.
Benefits to the Student
- Professional/lab experience for high school students
- Develop marketable skills through relevant work experience
- Opportunity to assess career plan through hands-on lab work
- Increase awareness of industry standards and responsibilities
- Financial reward for work done in their related field
- Access to and experience with cutting edge technologies
- Opportunities to earn credentials and industry certifications
Benefits to Corporate Partner
- Pipeline generation for qualified (potentially industry-certified) technicians in local industry (multiple sectors)
- Employee would already be versed in language, procedures and technology of the field
- Deliverable produced by student highlighting skills/tools gained
- Opportunity to incorporate company-specific deliverable where feasible and interested (e.g. ISS&N Co-Op student uses Data Science tools to analyze MAPFRE data)
- As early-adopter sponsor, opportunity to help shape the vision and overall local and national impact of the initiative.
- PR/Marketing exposure for first-in-kind pilot roll-up to federal-funding model
The introduction of Big Data has changed the workplace and continues to be one of the most lucrative professions for those savvy in making data-driven decisions. One WTHS Student will get to work in WPI’s Data Science Lab. The student will build skills in valuable disciplines such as machine learning, data analytics, AI, cybersecurity, statistics, and deep learning.
Computer Science majors at WPI have a long history of securing coveted and valuable jobs post-graduation. So many companies look for these skilled professionals. One WTHS student will work in WPI’s Computer Science Lab. The student will build skills in the following areas: networking, problem-solving, software systems, virtual machines, and security.
One sponsorship will fund two exceptional students for alternating weeks on WPI’s campus-based programming. The Co-op will run for the entirety of the school year (40 weeks) during school hours and will culminate in a poster presentation for faculty and sponsors at the conclusion of the experience.
Joint industry-academia partnerships are not new to WPI. WPI has several successful partnerships and plenty of depth of experience in this area. WPI aims to find and grow new key partners that will work on obtaining local and federal grants (e.g. Department of Labor) to build out the Apprenticeship Program and provide sustainable funding to support student educational pathways to local community colleges and WPI.
For details or to inquire about working with WPI, please contact Dan Weagle (firstname.lastname@example.org).