BattleCry SITREP 3, dtg 14May13/1100Z
"Arrival Info, etc."
1. Upon arriving to campus, any vehicles with materials to drop off should proceed to the Robot Load-in located behind the Sports & Rec Center and unload. Any vehicles or buses carrying people only should proceed to the Park Ave Garage and drop-off circle.
Rules of Robot Unloading:
- DO NOT PULL ONTO THE QUAD. There is no parking on the Quad and no drop-off on the Quad of materials or people.
- When you arrive for material drop-off, be patient, wait for direction by a volunteer, and stay within the coned lanes.
- Drivers MAY NOT leave their vehicle unattended at any time. This means be sure there is someone with them to help move the materials into the building.
- Unload your vehicle quickly and safely.
- Once the vehicle is unloaded, the driver should immediately proceed with vehicle to the Park Ave Garage.
2. Free BattleCry Challenger parking is available in the WPI Park Ave Garage and surrounding streets. Those parking in the garage MUST have a parking pass or they will be ticketed/towed. Your team leader was emailed a parking pass. Please consult our event map (http://goo.gl/maps/osh1d) for details or ask a staff member to direct you to parking. Parking is not available on the Quad.
Those staying overnight will be given a special overnight pass when they check-in and receive their dorm keys.
3. One adult member from each team should enter the lobby of the Sports & Rec Center to begin your registration process.
- Check your team in
- Pay any remaining balance due (check preferred: "WPI/BattleCry", credit card may not be available on-site)
- Receive your information packet with pre-purchased event t-shirts, BBQ tickets, and Ice Cream Social tickets
- Bring your robot to the designated location to update your WPA key before going on the field.
Report to Pit Boss table in pit area for any needed assistance
4. Food Options:
- BBQ dinner & Ice Cream (Friday) plus Bagged Lunches (Saturday) will be available for those who ordered them in advance. In addition, the following options are available:
- Friday: Campus Center Food Court (7PM-11PM), limited menu including pizza, drinks, snacks, etc.
- Friday: Campus Center Book Store (9PM-11PM), WPI gear as well as drinks, snacks, toiletries, etc.
- Saturday: Harrington Auditorium Concessions (7AM-4PM), breakfast items, lunch items, drinks, snacks, etc.
- Saturday: Campus Center Food Court (11-1PM), limited lunch menu available.
5. There will be a limited number of BattleCry 14 T-shirts for sale @ $10 at the registration table.
BattleCry SITREP 2, dtg 9May13/1000Z
"Deals, Meals, Games, etc."
1. Territory Reconnaissance
For your advance scouts to get the "lay of the land", we are working on setting up campus tours. Check at the WPI Admissions table in the lobby for more details
2. Friday Evening R&R (Rest and Relaxation)
The Friday night campaign ends and the pits close at 2100, but then the teams can enjoy the evening from 2100-2300 by jumping into any of the following FREE activities centered in and around the Campus Center.The winners of some of these activities will receive special BattleCry swag!
- BattleCry@WPI Arcade!: Have fun and cheer on your team mates as they play these party game favorites in the 3rd floor Odeum!
- Kinect: Sad that there’s no Kinect in this year’s FRC game? Fear not, the Kinect is back! You can choose to ride the rapids or dance the night away: either way you will make a fool of yourself and have a great time!
- DDR: While this game dates back to the 1900’s, it’s still a favorite the world over!
- Wii Bowling: Despite our real bowling alley being dismantled, you can still play virtual bowling on the Nintendo Wii!
- Mario Kart Wii: Destroy good friendships with Blue Turtle Shells and find out who really is the best driver on your team.
- Guitar Hero: Outplay everyone else while showing off your rock star moves
- Rock Band: Does your team have what it takes to be the best FIRST rock band
- Halo 4: Finish the fight...again, in four-player split screen matches on a huge projector!
- FIRST Match Game ‘13: Andy Grady’s annual game show is sure to be a hit with the classic Match Game! Contestants try to guess the answers to hilarious questions given by a panel of FIRST “Celebrities”, including FTA Extraordinaire Jacob Komar and actually-a-really-nice-guy Angry Eric!
- CRUD: Play Team 190's post-battle favorite on three CRUD tables in the CC's 1st floor game room. Rules and training will be provided to teams who want to learn to play.
- VEX Freeze Tag: The fine folks at intelitek have graciously donated the use of their VEX Freeze-Tag robots. Go head-to-head, robot-to-robot in a battle to see who can turn off their opponent’s robots while keeping theirs online.
- Board Games: Is cardboard more your style? Take your pick from a variety of classic board games, including a BC exclusive, FIRST appropriate version of Cards Against Humanity.
- Red Sox v. Twins: Looking for something a little more quiet? Watch the Sox game as they take on the Twins in Minneapolis.
- Twister: Test your flexibility and agility in this classic party game.
- Lawn Games: Play your tailgating favorites inside! Games include Ring Toss, Bean Bag Toss, and Ladder Ball.
- Foosball: Spin tiny men in a low-tech soccer simulation.
- Scavenger Hunt: Complete a list of tasks Friday evening and Saturday morning to be entered into a special raffle drawing.
...And of course the Ice Cream Sundae Bar: Delicious, have-it-your-way ice cream sundaes!
3. Field Rations
As part of your entry fee you get:
- 10 Free Friday night BBQ dinner and Ice Cream Sundae Bar (must be pre-ordered)
- 10 Free Saturday team lunches (must be pre-ordered)
- There will also be a concession stand operating from approximately 0700 to 1600 on Saturday on the main floor of the gym offering light snacks and beverages.
The Field Ration Kit
BBQ Dinner (Friday)
- You get a choice of two hamburgers, veggi-burgers, or hot dogs. In addition there are rolls, potato chips, watermelon, salad with dressing, and your choice of drinks.
- BBQ meals will be available from 1800-1930 with 10 free meals for each participating team. Additional dinners (with later ice cream sundae bar) are $13.00. We cannot guarantee that there will be unreserved dinners available for purchase.
Ice Cream Sundae Bar (Friday)
- Ice cream and assorted toppings will be served starting at 2100 during the evening R&R activities. The cost of the sundaes is included with the dinners so anyone getting a BBQ dinner will also be entitled to ice cream.
- You get a choice of ham, turkey, roast beef, or vegetarian sandwich on a fresh-baked bulky roll, a bag of potato chips, fresh whole fruit, two fresh-baked cookies and your choice of beverage. The first 10 lunches for each team are free! Pre-ordered meals will be delivered to each pit table at 1130 on Saturday.
Teams MUST enter their BBQ/Ice Cream, Lunch, and T-shirt orders into the registration system in order to receive their included ones and any additional they'd like to order. When you enter your order, the cost of the 10 free of each will be automatically deducted on the invoice page.
For teams who did not enter an order by the 8-May deadline, it is assumed you do not want your included items and nothing will be ordered for you!
4. Human Player Contest (Air Superiority Award)
During the Saturday lunch break, there will be a special on-field contest for human players. Two members from each team will play a modified version of ladderball to determine who is truly the best human player at BattleCry. More details will be provided at the event. Human players must be ready to play at approximately 1215.
5. Video Opportunities
There will be multiple video cameras running throughout BC14 that will be under the control of our mixing crew. The entire competition will be available on live streaming video.
BattleCry SITREP 1, dtg 19Apr13/1635Z
Please confirm your plans as soon as possible. We have many teams on the ready reserves list and out of courtesy to them, would like to update their status ASAP. All Registration Fee payments must be RECEIVED (whether by check or credit card) by 23 April to hold your spot. If there are any teams that can't accommodate this please contact the staff at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
All registered BC14 Challengers need to completely fill out their registration information ASAP. This includes additional food and t-shirt requests. The deadline for updating food & t-shirts is 6 May. Payment information can be found on the Invoice page of the registration web site.
Please note, although 10 t-shirts and meals are included in the registration fee, if your team does not fill out the request for these items you WILL NOT receive them.
BC14 is a 2-day tournament. It is expected that all teams to come both days and take advantage of the Friday barbeque, ice cream social, and team party, as well as the 2 or 3 qualifying matches on Friday.
On-campus housing is available for BC14. To utilize on-campus housing, teams must sign up on the registration site. The deadline to register for dorm rooms is 1 May.
Single, Two-person, and Three-person rooms are available. Cost for the rooms is $45 per person. In order to utilize these rooms, teams must have chaperones who also stay in the dorm rooms. These chaperones must be approved by their school and must include at least one chaperone of the same gender as the students staying. Additional information on behavioral policies and contracts will be provided to those who sign up.
Each on-campus dorm room will contain one, two, or three twin beds with linens provided. Rooms do not have TVs, fans, or air-conditioning. The three person rooms have lofted beds ONLY.
Teams are also welcome to arrange their own stay at other hotels in and around Worcester. Cities like Auburn and Shrewsbury are within a 10-minute drive of WPI and may open up a wider variety of options.
3. Game Tweaks
4. Awards and Decorations
By Battlestaff decry, the following have been established for BC14:
Campaign Medals (54) - One per each team that arrives on scene
Medal of Honor (1) - BC’s highest team award. Judges' award for the team that goes “above and beyond” the expectations of all FRC teams.
Silver Star (1) - Judges' award for machine design elegance as demonstrated throughout the campaign.
Distinguished Controls (1) - Judges' award for inspired robot-operator interaction as demonstrated through interface and/or programming excellence.
Special Operations (1) - Judges' award for outstanding robot performance during the autonomous match periods.
Noncombatant Service (1) - Judges' award for most outstanding team spirit or support displayed during the elimination matches by a team eliminated prior to the quarter-finals
General Staff (3-4) - Judges' special recognition awards, criteria TBD
Awesome Offense (1) - People's choice award to team with most scoring potential/performance
Dominating Defense (1) - People's choice award to team with best score-neutralizing or score-denial potential/performance
Best BattleCry (1) - Emcee's award for best spirit shown by a team during combat
Air Superiority (1) - To the team that fields the top Human Player(s) in the Saturday contest
Top Gun (1) - To the number one seed in qualifying
Runners-Up (3) - To each team on the three-team alliance defeated in the final match
Victors (3) - To each team on the three-team alliance that wins the tournament
BattleCry STAR - Special Team Appreciation & Recognition award, adult mentor award presented by team selected by STAR reviewers (see below)
5. BattleCry STAR
Student team members are encouraged to submit nominations for their outstanding adult mentor. These nominations are due by 8 May (electronic format required to email@example.com, 500 words or less) and will be reviewed and judged by past STAR winners. Student members of the winning team will be notified by 15 May and offered the opportunity to publicly announce their champion during the awards ceremony.
6. Robot Photos
Please upload photos of your robot using the photo upload page at the registration site. The photos should clearly show your robot and be full resolution .jpg images from your camera.
7. Call for Volunteers
Like any event, BC relies on volunteers to successfully run our tournament. We could still use several volunteers from setup through the completion of the event. Additionally, even if you can only offer a few hours of support, we could particularly use assistance on Friday evening managing our BBQ and Team Social. If you are available to volunteer for any or all of the event, please sign up ASAP here: http://tinyurl.com/bc14volsMaintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: May 14, 2013 10:35:42