The Office of the Dean of Arts & Sciences is pleased to announce that applications are being accepted for the 2020 Summer Training in Arts & Sciences Research (STAR) program. These fellowship stipends will support WPI undergraduate students as they conduct A&S research projects during the summer of 2020. To be funded, proposed research projects must be in one of the arts & sciences disciplines (this includes all majors and programs under the A&S departments, including robotics engineering). The selection process will consider materials submitted by the student and the supervising faculty member.
Deadline: All materials must be submitted through the online application by Monday, March 16 (deadline has been extended).
Applicants should start by discussing their interests with potential faculty research supervisors.
Once the student has identified a research advisor and project, the student submits the following materials through the online application (PDF only):
- A brief description of the research project and how this work fits into your academic plan or career goals;
- A brief description of your relevant experience (including course work, independent study, or projects that show your ability to work through open-ended questions);
- A resume;
- A letter of support from the faculty advisor;
- Other supporting materials (optional, PDF only).
The brief descriptions of the proposed research project and the applicant’s relevant experience should be limited to 500 words or less. The student's unofficial transcript from Banner will be automatically included with his/her application.
The application review process has been delayed slightly as WPI prepares to deliver D term courses online (original notification timeline was week of March 23). The Dean's office will continue to communicate with applicants by email on when they can expect to be notified of a decision.
- This is a full-time appointment for two months. Specific start and end dates are flexible and can be negotiated with the research advisor.
- Students who will complete their undergraduate degree before January 1, 2021 are not eligible for this program.
- All WPI freshman, sophomores, and juniors are eligible for this program.
Stipend: $5000 total: $2500 paid the end of June; $2500 paid the end of July.
Questions? Please contact Rebecca Ouellette in the Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences at email@example.com or (508) 831-4964.