WPI’s Public Health Team is actively monitoring COVID cases and close contacts. If you are identified as a close contact, you will be notified and provided with guidance. All close contacts will be tested; there are important distinctions between what would then happen for fully vaccinated and unvaccinated students:
- Fully vaccinated close contacts are not required to quarantine; they must self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days.
- Symptomatic students are immediately evaluated and tested.
- Non-symptomatic students are tested again 3-5 days post exposure.
- Avoid visiting with higher risk friends or family (even fully vaccinated ones) until they know they are not at risk for spreading COVID.
- Unvaccinated close contacts must quarantine for at least seven days are test immediately and, if necessary, also test on days four and seven. They are only released from quarantine on day eight if they remain symptom free and have a negative test result.
- Symptomatic students are immediately evaluated and tested; they may need to quarantine for up to 14 days, based on healthcare provider assessment, symptom progression, and likely diagnosis.
Also, symptomatic employees and students who feel unwell (with fever, shortness of breath, muscle aches or a cough) should stay in your residence hall or home; and use WPI’s Symptom Tracker.