Faculty Institute for Online Teaching (FIOT) begins May 20, 2020. This is a three-phase program. If interested please contact email@example.com.
- Phase one will be a one hour synchronous session and will kick off live with Zoom on May 20, 2020 (exact time TBD).
- Phase two, you’ll be enrolled in a 4-week online asynchronous course … where you become the student! You will have weekly homework assignments and discussion board postings. The assignments allow you to create and receive feedback on online-ready deliverables you can use in your Canvas course site, including an assessment, activity, and lesson. Plan to spend about 4-5 hours per week on this phase of the FIOT.
- Phase three includes at least 10 hours of individual consulting with one of WPI’s Instructional Designers who will assist with the overall design and development of your online course.
After completing this program, faculty will walk away with a course syllabus, a tentative course schedule, and at least one activity/lesson/adapted assessment deliverable that can be immediately incorporated into your Canvas course site.
At the successful completion of this program, faculty will be able to:
· Apply instructional design methodology and best practices to design a plan for creating engaging learning experiences
· Develop learning outcomes and authentic assessments and activities that are learner-centered and promote the growth of 21st century skills
· Evaluate various tools at WPI that may be implemented and utilize them for engaging course delivery
· Deliver a learner-centered course and self-evaluate teaching practices
Overall, this FIOT is a 3-6 month commitment where you determine the number of hours to spend on developing your course site. One piece of data we like to share is you can expect to spend up to 100 hours upfront designing, organizing your course site, and recording your lectures for online delivery over this time period.
Note: this is not a Canvas training. Canvas, as well as other tools such as Studio, Echo360 Universal Capture, and Zoom trainings will be scheduled for you.