Our Coronavirus Emergency Response Team has been working around the clock to ensure that WPI responds thoughtfully and appropriately to this rapidly evolving situation. There are currently no confirmed or presumptive cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) at WPI.
On March 10, Governor Baker declared a state of emergency in Massachusetts. The health and safety of our community is our highest priority, and in order to help protect our campus and mitigate the spread of coronavirus, the following measures will take effect immediately.
1. Delay of D-Term and Remote Delivery of Classes.
- The start of D-Term and resumption of Spring Semester courses is delayed until Wednesday, March 25. This delay is necessary in order to prepare to deliver our curriculum remotely. The last day of classes will be Wednesday, May 13.
- D-Term courses will be delivered remotely beginning March 25. There will be at least two weeks of remote delivery, and a decision will be made on the remainder of the term by the end of March.
- We understand that there will be concerns about lab courses and projects, and we are actively considering options. Additional information is forthcoming.
2. Information About Student Housing.
- Students residing on or near campus who are currently here should plan to go home. Students who reside on campus and are currently away should not return to campus.
- Residence halls will be closed from Monday, March 16 at 12 pm until at least Saturday, April 4.
- Requests for exceptions should be directed to Residential Services through the Residential Services Form.
3. Campus Remains Open for Faculty and Staff. Faculty and staff should continue to report to work on campus. We will support short-term teleworking where possible, and will provide further guidance shortly. Please consult with your supervisor if you wish to explore flexible work options. If you are sick, stay home.
4. Cancellation of Large Events, Meetings and Athletics. All events and meetings with anticipated attendance of 50 or more are cancelled through at least Tuesday, March 31. Later events will be evaluated on an ongoing basis. Organizers of smaller events should consider remote meetings, delays, or cancellations. All athletic practices and competitions are also cancelled during this time period.
5. Cancellation of WPI-Related Travel. Consistent with the Governor’s State of Emergency announcement, all WPI-sponsored domestic and international travel through D-Term is cancelled. Personal international travel during this time period is strongly discouraged.
We do not take these decisions lightly, and we know there will be a lot of questions. Please check the WPI coronavirus website for the latest updates and Frequently Asked Questions, and send additional questions to CoronavirusQuestions@wpi.edu. We will continue to update the site with new information throughout the coming hours, days and weeks.
We will be in frequent communication as we work together to manage this situation. Thank you to our faculty, staff and students for your work and your flexibility, and for all you do for WPI.
Coronavirus Emergency Response Team