Thank you for your support and focus during this time of crisis and as we navigate these difficult and unprecedented circumstances. This message has two important updates – please read it carefully. Anything not directly addressed has not changed since our prior messages.
COVID-19 Cases in the Campus Community
- According to all of the information available to us, there are currently NO cases of COVID-19 among WPI faculty, staff and students.
- As you know from our earlier message, we were made aware that two members of the WPI campus community were tested for COVID-19. We are pleased to report that both of these tests came back negative.
- In order to ensure that we take proper precautions in the event of COVID-19 exposure or positive diagnosis, we ask that anyone who has recently been tested, or who has been in physical contact with a person being tested for COVID-19 inform Health Services here.
Moving to Severely Limited Campus Operations
Given the growing number of COVID-19 cases in Worcester and surrounding communities, and following the best advice of Public Health professionals, WPI is moving to further restrict physical access to campus effective at 5PM on Tuesday, March 24, 2020. Therefore:
- Only employees who have been notified that they have emergency designation for academic and business continuity will be permitted to be on campus effective at 5PM on Tuesday, March 24, 2020. If you have not received this notification, you must work remotely starting on Wednesday, March 25, 2020. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS to this directive.
- Offices will still perform their functions with employees working remotely.
- As previously announced, classes will resume as planned on March 25, with all classes being delivered remotely for the entirety of D-term and the remainder of Spring Semester.
PLEASE use the time between now and Tuesday at 5 PM to access what you need to pick up from the campus for an extended period of remote work. You can continue to expect updates from various offices on campus regarding operational details. We will be collecting all of that guidance on our Coronavirus website and we will continue to answer questions through CoronavirusQuestions@wpi.edu.
These are uncharted waters, and although WPI has thoughtfully developed this plan, federal, state or local guidance could cause an acceleration in the timeline, so please prepare for remote operations as soon as possible. If the timeline is accelerated, we will notify you.
We know this moment presents a real and unique challenge for all of us. And yet we know that our community is strong. We are problem solvers and together we will get through this. The actions we are all taking now will make communities everywhere safer.
In these uncertain times, take care of yourselves and your loved ones, and stay safe. Thanks for being a part of WPI’s solution to this crisis.
President Leshin and
The Coronavirus Emergency Response Team