Facilitator: Margaret Yacobucci, PhD
In this webinar, Dr. Yacobucci explains the important role that sponsors and advocates can play in supporting their diverse faculty colleagues’ career advancement. She highlights the barriers that prevent marginalized faculty from receiving effective sponsorship and explores how sponsors and advocates can act as allies for their colleagues. Eight essential sponsorship strategies are introduced, with numerous specific actions related to each one. Common pitfalls to avoid are also highlighted.
Throughout the webinar, Dr. Yacobucci guides participants in short activities to explore their own experiences and reflect on their areas of privilege and capacity to act as a sponsor or advocate. Participants will also develop an individualized sponsor/advocate action plan to pursue.
Participant Learning Goals:
- Distinguish between mentors, sponsors, and advocates
- Identify obstacles that prevent marginalized faculty from receiving the effective sponsorship they need
- Reflect on your own experiences as a sponsor and sponsee
- Describe specific actions that effective sponsors and advocates take and pitfalls to avoid
- Develop an action plan for becoming a stronger sponsor or advocate
Register on NCFDD website, here: https://www.facultydiversity.org/webinars/facultysponsor