Location: Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), Salisbury Laboratories, Worcester, MA
|WPI PLTW Core Training Offerings for Summer 2017 -|
|Launch K-5 core training:
Launch Lead Teacher Training 7/10-7/12
Launch Classroom Teacher Training 7/31-8/1
Launch Lead Teacher Training 7/17-7/19
|Computer Science high school courses:
Computer Science A 7/10-7/21
Computer Science Principles 7/24-8/4
|Gateway middle school units:
Automation and Robotics 7/31-8/4
Computer Science for Innovators and Makers 7/31-8/4
Design and Modeling 7/24-7/28
Green Architecture 7/24-7/26
Science of Technology 7/17-7/19
|Engineering high school courses:
Civil Engineering and Architecture 7/24-8/4
Computer Science Principles 7/24-8/4
Introduction to Engineering Design 7/10-7/21
Principles of Engineering 7/24-8/4
|Also being offered in New England -
Gateway Computer Science App Creators at NHTI 8/7-8/11
Gateway Flight and Space at NHTI 8/7-8/9
Gateway Medical Detectives at NHTI 8/7-8/11
Digital Electronics at U. of New Haven 7/10-7/21
|Complete List of PLTW Core Trainings|
WPI Core Training Details
- Travel timing & tips
- All sessions start at 8AM on Monday, therefore flights must arrive on Sunday.
- If you purchased the WPI campus lodging, Sunday night lodging & Monday breakfast are included. However local teachers are welcome to drive to campus early Monday if they prefer, & then settle into the dorm on Monday evening.
- Classes will run weekdays 8AM sharp to approximately 5:30PM, with multiple hours of homework each night including the weekend. The master teachers are available for extra help in the evening so staying nearby is recommended.
- The 2 to 5 day elementary & middle school sessions will conclude by 5PM on the last day, therefore flights should depart after 8PM.
- The 2 week high school sessions will conclude by 1:30PM on the last day, therefore flights must depart after 4:30PM. EXCEPTION: Civil Engineering & Architecture will end by 3PM on Aug. 4, so flights should depart after 6PM.
- If you purchased the WPI campus lodging & must fly home the day after due to flight times, you may stay the extra night at no additional cost. We will similarly accommodate teachers with very long car rides.
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) is slightly closer than Providence's T.F. Green Airport (PVD). The Hartford, CT & Manchester, NH airports are a bit further away & not serviced by the local airport shuttle shared vans. Only JetBlue flies to the local Worcester Regional Airport (ORH), where you would take a cab to campus.
- Airport shuttle shared vans (W Limo or Knight's)
- Train, bus, taxi transportation
- Schedule, including arrival & departure details
- Graduate credit from UMBC for select middle & high school teachers
- Participant expectations
- Laptop & tablet requirements
- What to bring for your course
- Other suggested items to bring
While you are here at WPI...
- Campus map, including parking, area restaurants, & stores
- Walking paths to Salisbury Labs
- Food & dorm lodging
- WPI facilities & policies
- WPI Sports & Recreation Center: hours of operation/general info & liability form to use pool & other exercise facilities
- Assistance planning your sightseeing, including Boston, Providence, Worcester, & other area attractions, like malls, museums, whale watching; document includes Boston Commuter Rail schedule
2017 prices for PLTW core training at WPI:
$2,300 tuition for 2wk courses
$1,150 tuition for 1wk courses
$800 tuition for 3-day courses
$525 tuition for 2-day courses
Tuition includes weekday lunches.
$900 WPI dorm lodging for 2wk courses (up to 13 nights)
$450 lodging for 1wk courses (up to 6 nights)
$250 lodging for 3-day courses (up to 4 nights)
$170 lodging for 2-day courses (up to 3 nights)
WPI dorm lodging includes weekday breakfast buffet and air-conditioned suite with private bedrooms; 3 people/suite; shared living room, kitchen, and bathroom.
The Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton on Prescott St. in Worcester is also an option. You would need to book it yourself by calling 508-886-9005. WPI guest price should be $156/night, including breakfast and taxes.
Weeknight dinners and weekend meals are at your own expense at a variety of restaurants within walking distance and/or you may shop and cook if you are staying in WPI’s newest dorm, Faraday Hall, and you bring cooking supplies.