WPI COVID-19 Innovation Challenge
Friday, July 24th to Sunday, July 26th
Applications due July 20
WPI is hosting the WPI COVID-19 Innovation Challenge, to build innovative solutions that address the most pressing COVID-19 issues related to WPI's return to campus for fall 2020. While WPI will follow federal, state, and local guidance, including that from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we know our students (incoming and returning) have the creativity, ingenuity, and tenacity to develop solutions that will help us in our top priorities of health, safety, and well-being for our community—which, of course, includes providing a high-quality and rewarding college experience.
Join us for a few days of developing solutions that can help reduce the spread of COVID-19 while letting students have the high-quality and rewarding college experience. You might even win one of our three prizes ranging from $500 to $1,000 in Goat Bucks. We can't guarantee that WPI COVID-19 Innovation Challenge solutions will be implemented, but the student input is incredibly valuable in developing a deeper understanding of our students’ needs. We hope that you’ll join us in our mission, and we look forward to learning about all your projects and ideas.
NOTE: You do not need a team to apply. Our intro session will include a speed networking activity to assist in finding a team*. Team size can range from 2-4 students.
There will be two tracks to this challenge:
- Creating PPE solutions for safety and different types of applications
- Developing solutions for community and educational spaces (i.e. classrooms, residence halls, dining halls, restrooms, etc.) that create value around safety, functionality, and a rewarding social and learning experience
Applications Open: Wednesday, July 1st
Applications Close: Monday, July 20th
First Place: $1,000 in Goat Bucks
Second Place: $750 in Goat Bucks
Third Place: $500 in Goat Bucks
Team Matching Speed Networking Activity (Thursday Evening, July 23rd)
- If you don’t have a team (2-4 students), you can participate in a speed networking activity to be matched with students that have common interests and compatibilities (Optional)
Day 1 (Friday Evening, July 24th):
- Introduction to the challenge, judging criteria, and Q&A
- 2-3 workshops will be offered to support the teams in this innovation challenge. These workshops will be recorded and made available to those who are not able to attend. Topics TBD
- Additional video resources on selected topics will be made available at this time
Day 2 (Saturday, July 25th)
- Team working day on your solution
- You will have access to resources to assist with developing your presentation and bringing it to life
Day 3 (Sunday, July 26th)
- Team working day on your solution.
- Submission of your team’s 5-minute presentation video is due by 11:59 pm
- Judging will take place between July 27 -31
- Top 3 winning teams will be announced no later than July 31