Location and Culture:
Bar Harbor, Maine is a coastal location, one of the most beautiful areas in the United States. Students live and work in close proximity to Acadia National Park and numerous other research, historical, environmental, and arts organizations. During July, average temperatures—often accompanied by a sea breeze—range from 70°F to 80°F.
Housing and Meals:
WPI students live in cottages on the campus of the College of the Atlantic and have access to the campus dining hall and laundry facilities. Students can use a free shuttle service or bring their own bike or car to travel around the island. Accommodation type and location are subject to change without notice and will be confirmed the term prior to departure. Students should inform their advisor of any health concerns, dietary restrictions, or allergies in advance of participation in this program.
Past students at the Bar Harbor project center have completed:
- Light Pollution and Dark Sky studies and community outreach activities
- A hiking trail documentation with interactive 360 spherical views and virtual reality video
- An audio recording archive of Acadia National Park
- Ambient sound level analysis of park soundscapes
- Photographic documentation of endangered locations in the park
- A carbon footprint analysis of the park