Location and Culture
Cuenca, Ecuador is a modern city in the southern Andean highlands. It is located in a valley at approximate 8,400’ above sea level. Cuenca is a UNESCO World Heritage Trust site that is exemplified by the historical central district, has good public transportation and is very walkable.
Past students at the Ecuador project center have:
- Developed public relations materials for the beautiful and fascinating Museo de las Conceptas, a museum in downtown Cuenca
- Worked with the rural community of Shaglli to develop resources that support community-based, sustainable tourism
- Promoted walking as a form of transport by designing and piloting ‘walking school buses’ with the Cuenca department of transportation and several primary schools
- Contributed to the ‘living sustainability laboratory’ in the rural village of San Rafael, by developing sustainable construction designs for local buildings
- Conducted research on how US migrants are impacting Cuencan society and generated program ideas to improve integration