Have career-related questions?
The Career Development Center (CDC) at WPI offers career assistance to all WPI alumni and working professionals enrolled in degree-granting programs. The CDC staff is ready to meet with you and discuss your career development needs.
There are a variety of services and resources available to you through the CDC and all information shared with our staff is kept private.
To begin, we ask that alumni activate their Handshake account by completing our Activation Form. After completing this form, we will confirm your credentials and activate your account. You will receive an email within 4 business days with your access information to Handshake.
WPI Career Fairs
WPI holds two Career Fairs a year, one in September and one in February. This event is for students and alumni from all degrees and disciplines seeking a full-time job, internship, co-op or part-time experience. The Career Fair is an opportunity for you to present yourself professionally in person to a potential employer, while showcasing your communication skills.
WPI On- Campus Fall Career Fair- September 23, 2021, 12-4pm in the Sports & Recreation Center.
This event is for students and alumni from all degrees and disciplines seeking a full-time job, internship, co-op or part-time experience. The Career Fair is an opportunity for you to present yourself professionally in person to a potential employer, while showcasing your communication skills.
Join the event to get an email notification and calendar invite in your mailbox. While you can RSVP in Handshake, you need to register with the CDC to receive your nametag and be able to attend:
- Pre-register on September 21, 9am – 4pm by the fountain (Rain Location: Campus Center Table)
- Pre-register on September 22, 9am – 4pm by the fountain (Rain Location: Campus Center Table)
- Register day of the event starting at 10am in the Sports and Rec Center
Virtual Career Fairs through Handshake
Through virtual career fairs held in Handshake, you will have the opportunity to chat one-on-one with employers. Chats will typically last for 7-10 minutes per employer, depending on the fair’s settings and the length of the lines. Prior to the event you can review which employers are attending the fair and you'll be able to sign up for group or 1:1 sessions with employers at any point, even during the fair (as long as the session hasn't ended).
WPI 2021 Virtual Fall Career Fair- Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 12-4pm ET on Handshake.
The event is for students and alumni from all degrees and disciplines seeking a full-time job, internship, co-op, or part-time experience and takes place using the Handshake video platform. To learn more about virtual fairs in Handshake be sure to check out the Handshake Help Center. For general questions during the fair you can talk to a member of the Career Development Center staff on Zoom.
Working Professionals in Degree-Granting Programs
Working professionals who are currently enrolled in a degree-granting program already have access to Handshake and can login using their WPI credentials.
Resources & Services
- Handshake is a tool to view job listings, post your resume, and research employers. Handshake publishes online video and written tutorials to help get you started.
- Internet resources, including CareerShift, GoinGlobal, and Focus2 are located in your Handshake account, in the Resources section.
- Please note that there are specific instructions for accessing CareerShift as an alumni included as a PDF in the resource.
- WPI’s Alumni Relations Office provides access to contacts, events, and more.
- You can schedule appointments for a variety of career topics, including but not limited to: resume/CV critiques (alumni only), career advising, job searching, graduate school, networking & LinkedIn reviews.
- Attend workshops, career fairs, and more! For an up to date calendar of upcoming events, refer to the Events section in your Handshake account.
- Check out the CDC's tipsheets for information on a variety of career-related topics.
Schedule an Appointment
All appointments are available Monday-Friday between 8am-5pm, are scheduled through Handshake, and can take place in person, via telephone, or over Skype. Remember that the more information you can provide, the better the CDC staff member can prepare before your appointment.
Resume & CV Critiques
Alumni have the option of getting your resume or CV critiqued through an in-person appointment or by email. Appointments can be scheduled through Handshake; for critiques through emails, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume attached. Your resume will be critiqued and returned to you within 4 business days. Prior to submitting your resume for an email critique, please make sure to activate your Handshake account as we require account activation prior to the critique. For even more advice and tips on what to include in your resume, download the Resume & CV tipsheet (PDF).
All on-campus workshops hosted by the CDC are open for WPI alumni and working professionals in degree-granting programs to attend. No registration is required; check the CDC calendar and in Handshake to learn about upcoming workshops. If you are unable to attend a workshop you can access the PowerPoint through the event posting in Handshake.