Manufacturing Engineering (MFE) is a multidisciplinary program with courses available in manufacturing, industrial, mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering, as well as management and computer science. Students may focus on a specific area (robotics, CAD/CAM, artificial intelligence, materials processing, etc.), or retain a more comprehensive view through interdisciplinary studies.
WPI’s graduate programs in MFE offer students a chance to prepare for opportunities at the forefront of a wide range of fields, addressing some of the most critical problems of our times. Students examine current manufacturing techniques, providing a solid and broad foundation for further focus. Course material and research activities are often drawn from the fields of computer science, controls engineering, electrical and computer engineering, environmental engineering, industrial engineering, materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, and management.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor’s: N/A
- Master’s: $64,333 (2015)
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Salary (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2015): $72,200
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that have Hired WPI Manufacturing Engineers
- Brookfield Engineering
- Pratt & Whitney
- Sikorsky Aircraft
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Advanced Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Quality Manager
Visit O*Net Online for more information on job titles.
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- Association of Manufacturing Excellence
- Institute of Industrial Engineering: WPI Chapter, Professional Association
- International Society of Pharmaceutical Engineering
- National Association of Manufacturers
- Society of Automotive Engineers
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
Popular Industries for Manufacturing Engineers
- Architectural Engineering & Related Services
- Government (Federal, State)
- Scientific Research and Development Services