Developing new materials for the next generation of engineering applications is the primary focus of the field of materials science and engineering.
In applying the properties of matter to various areas of science and engineering, WPI’s interdisciplinary Materials Science & Engineering (MTE) undergraduate and graduate programs investigate relationships between the structure, properties, processing, and performance of materials. Students learn about the synthesizing of new materials and development of improved processes for making them.
A wide range of industries—such as medical devices, healthcare, energy, and nanotechnology—are actively involved in this field. Students in the MTE program develop a fundamental understanding of materials at the nano, micro, and macro scales within these focus areas:
Because materials science and engineering combines chemistry, physics, biology, and math with mechanical, chemical, and electrical engineering principles, graduates with MTE degrees can find themselves in great demand.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor's: N/A
- Master's: $64,253
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Salary (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2015): $53,290
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that Have Hired WPI Materials Science Engineers
- Global Steering Systems
- Raytheon Company
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Operations Manager
- Post-Doc Researcher in Fatigue & Fracture
- Product Engineer
- Semiconductor Process Engineer
Visit O*Net Online for more information on job titles.
Sample Graduate Schools
- Boston University
- Griffith University
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- American Society of Metals
- American Chemical Society
- Materials Research Society
- The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society
- Institute of Materials
- Society of Plastic Engineers
Popular Industries for Materials Science Engineers
- Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing
- Industrial Machinery Manufacturing
- Iron and Steel Mills and Ferroalloy Manufacturing
- Scientific Research and Development Services
- Semiconductor and Other Electronic Component Manufacturing
Visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics for a list of more industries.