The close-knit community at WPI has been especially impactful for Marissa, with Professor Kmiotek in the Chemical Engineering department serving as both her academic advisor and the advisor for the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), in which she is heavily invested.
And that is certainly one aspect of the WPI experience that Marissa is very engaged in:
She received the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Freshman Recognition Award for being the most involved freshman in the chapter last year. This honor means a lot to Marissa because AIChE directly related with her major, and everybody in the club has shown their willingness to help her with classes whenever she has questions.
After graduation, Marissa hopes to get her masters degree and ultimately work as a chemical engineer in a pharmaceutical laboratory making new, different, and more effective drugs.
Stephen Kmiotek, Chemical Engineering, Professor of Practice
- Receiving the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Freshman Recognition Award for being the most involved freshman in AIChE.
- Being a part of the Alpha Phi sorority, making lifelong sisters and receiving the position of Director of Sisterhood
- Alpha Phi International Fraternity (Director of Sisterhood)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (Secretary)
- Council of Professional Societies (Secretary),
- Society of Women Engineers
- Rockets Dance Team