Information for Students
WPI Health Services supports all our students, whether they live on or off campus, and WPI’s Isolation/Quarantine Coordinator will provide support for isolation and quarantining. Students who feel ill should report it in the Symptom Tracker; anyone experiencing a medical emergency should call 911 or (if on campus) contact WPI Police at 508-831-5555.
Students in Isolation
Students who are diagnosed with COVID-19 will be advised by the Public Health Team to isolate at home, at their off-campus residence, or at one of the isolation spaces on-campus. Students will remain in isolation until cleared by Health Services or local public health officials in accordance with current CDC guidelines on home isolation.
Isolation at Off-Campus Residence – Students living off-campus who test positive will isolate in their off-campus residence. Students will be under the care of Health Services, who will check in on students periodically. Students will have full remote access to their classes.
Isolation in an Isolation Space on Campus – Students living in the residence halls or fraternity/sorority houses who test positive will isolate in one of the dedicated isolation spaces on campus. The isolation spaces have their own kitchen, bathroom, and in-unit laundry. The Public Health Team will provide isolated students with food delivered through Chartwells, medicine, and other necessary resources and support. Students will be under the care of Health Services, who will check in on students periodically.
Students in Quarantine
If you are identified as a close contact, you will be notified and provided with guidance. All close contacts will be tested; there are important distinctions between what would then happen for fully vaccinated and unvaccinated students:
- Fully vaccinated close contacts are not required to quarantine; they must self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days.
- Symptomatic students are immediately evaluated and tested.
- Non-symptomatic students are tested again 3-5 days post exposure.
- Avoid visiting with higher risk friends or family (even fully vaccinated ones) until they know they are not at risk for spreading COVID.
- Unvaccinated close contacts must quarantine for at least seven days are test immediately and, if necessary, also test on days four and seven. They are only released from quarantine on day eight if they remain symptom free and have a negative test result.
- Symptomatic students are immediately evaluated and tested; they may need to quarantine for up to 14 days, based on healthcare provider assessment, symptom progression, and likely diagnosis.
Symptomatic employees and students who feel unwell (with fever, shortness of breath, muscle aches or a cough) should stay in your residence hall or home; and use WPI’s Symptom Tracker.