The problems facing business and industry are growing ever more complex. Often, the solution of these highly technical problems involves sophisticated mathematics that may tax a company's internal resources. The Center for Industrial Mathematics and Statistics was created as a mathematical resource to industry. The faculty members and students associated with the Center have the expertise to address today's complex problems.
Faculty and students associated with CIMS have worked with local companies on more than thirty projects at the graduate and undergraduate level.
In addition to developing projects and industrial contacts for WPI students and faculty, CIMS has taken a leadership role by organizing various activities for the benefit of the applied/industrial mathematics community.
- WPI Research Experience for Undergraduates Program in Industrial Mathematics and Statistics, 1998-2015
- Mathematical Problems in Industry workshop, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2013.
- Applied and Industrial Mathematics Institute for Secondary Teaching, July 2014
- Mathematics in Industry Summer Institute for High School Teachers, June 2002 - 2005.
- Mathematics in Industry Workshop for High School Teachers, June 2000.
- Northeast Regional SIAM Mathematics Industry Workshop, May 1998
Funding for CIMS has been provided by the following:
- National Science Foundation
- Sloan Foundation
- GE Fund
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, and our
- corporate project sponsors.
For more information, please contact:
Professor Suzanne L. Weekes, Director
Center for Industrial Mathematics and Statistics
Mathematical Sciences Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester, MA 01609-2280
Last modified: Jan 22, 2014, 14:51 EST