Sony “Handy Cam” Instructions
These instructions apply to the Sony "Handy Cam" camcorders that are available for checkout from the ATC.
Insert the Battery
The Handy Cam uses a NP-FM70 battery. To insert the battery:
- Make sure the arrow is facing down.
- Fit the battery into the grooves of the camcorder.
- Push the battery down to lock it into place.
Insert the Tape
The Handy Cam uses a Mini DV tape. To insert the tape:
- Make sure the camera has a working battery or is plugged in to the power cord.
- Open the tape deck by pushing the open/eject button on the bottom of the camera.
- Pull the deck door open and the silver frame will eject.
- Insert the tape, front side up, with the arrow facing into the tape deck.
- Push down the top of the silver frame. The frame will retract into the camera.
- Close the deck door.
Tape Settings: Record or Save
Mini DV tapes can be set to either a Record or Save mode. The Record mode allows you to record on the tape and the Save mode prevents recording so you can be sure that nothing will be recorded over what has already been recorded on the tape.
- Slide the green door to the desired position. If the green door is visible, you will be able to record on the tape (Record mode). If the green door is not visible, you will not be able to record (Save mode).
- Put the door in Save mode after you record on the tape to ensure that the tape is not used again or accidentally erased.
Camera Menu: Use and Settings
- The display is located on the left of the camcorder. Press the open button to unlock the display and pull the door open.
- Click the Menu, which is located on the lower left corner of the touch screen.
- Under Adjustments, use the arrows to select Camera Set. The EXEC button, located on the bottom left, allows you to move through the menu from side to side. The up and down arrows allow you to change settings.
- Enter the C menu and select the dimensions of the video capture, widescreen 16:9 or normal 4:3.
- Press RET to return to the previous menu.
- Press the tape symbol menu item.
- Select the record mode and put the camera in standard play mode (SP).
- Select the record mode and put the audio in 16 bit quality.
- Select ETC to change the sound of the beep noise: melody, normal, off.
- EXIT, located in the top right corner, allows you to exit the menu.
- Battery Life: located in the top left of the screen, indicates the minutes left on the battery.
- SP (standard play): indicates you are in "standard play", as opposed to "long play".
- Time Code ( -:--:- ): Displays how long you have been recording.
- Flashing Yellow Tape with line through it indicates there is no tape in the camcorder.
- Push down on the Power button and push in the small green part on the button in order to rotate it to Camera.
- Push the silver button with the red circle adjacent to the green button to start and stop the recording. When you are not recording, the touch screen indicates in green that the camcorder is in standby mode by displaying "STBY". When you are recording, the screen indicates in red that the camcorder is in record mode by displaying "REC".
- If the Power button is turned to VCR mode, you can stop, rewind, play, pause, and fast forward your recording.
Attaching an external XLR adapter shoe for a microphone
This is an optional accessory. You must obtain an adapter shoe in order to use an external microphone kit. To use the adapter shoe:
- Line up the metal prongs on the camcorder shoe with the prongs from the adapter. The adapter will slide on the shoe.
- Rotate the wheel where it says loosen and tighten to assure the adapter stays in place.
In order to transfer video from the camcorder to a computer if you are not using an edit suite with a tape deck, you will need a Fire Wire Cable 4 Pin.Maintained by email@example.com
Last modified: Mar 27, 2009, 07:31 EDT