accounting system the item of $85,000 previously carried as "principal
loaned for maintenance" was eliminated. Subsequent transfers from the
maintenance account eventually restored the several funds to their par
value. Investment income had risen to nearly $43,000 by 1916, much of
the $16,000 gain having been added to the salary budget.
Alumni Field became a reality early in Dr. Hollis'
administration. Final grading and seeding were completed in the spring
of 1914, and particularly favorable weather conditions during the
summer produced good turf for the playing fields. The first football
game was played there November 14, 1914. In addition to the pride of
possession created by this event, there was the more thrilling
experience of seeing a Tech team win for the first time since Amherst
was conquered in 1912. Rensselaer, long a cherished rival, was the
opponent. Led by a band, the student body had staged a march to the
field and had cheered wildly from the temporary stands during
three-quarters of a game that merited few cheers from either
side. Then, in the final quarter, Tech went through for two
touchdowns, and the celebration began. There was a prolonged snake
dance on the field, followed by a parade to City Hall to apprize the
city of the significance of this victory.
Details of completing the field included the construction of an
attractive iron fence and hedge along Park Avenue and Institute Road,
and the providing of a suitable entrance. The triangular area at the
corner of the two streets was not included in the original
purchase. In order to be sure of its acquisition, Professor
Butterfield bought it personally. The city repaid him for a portion
that was taken to widen the intersection, and he contributed the
balance to the field fund. At a meeting of Worcester County alumni in
January, 1914, Harry Worcester Smith, '87, offered to contribute
$1,500 for a set of ornamental gates and to pay half the cost of the
land involved if his class would raise the balance. The attractive
entrance thus provided was formally dedicated as a feature of the
fiftieth anniversary celebration in 1915.