The note taking accommodation provides students with the notes they would otherwise take during a course lecture class. A note taker allows the student to focus on the presenter and the lecture without being overly concerned about taking detailed notes. All note taking is managed by the Exam Proctoring Center. The EPC coordinates with the students who have accommodations, professors for their courses, and volunteer note takers. Please read through the information below and then fill out the Note Taker Request Form if needed.
Who is eligible for a note taking accommodation?
The note taking accommodation is used for a number of reasons which can include, but are not limited to:
- Functional limitations in fine motor skills (poor handwriting, etc.)
- Slow processing speed
- Poor auditory processing
- Poor attention span
- Physical, visual or hearing impairments
How do you access your note taking accommodation?
If you are a student who has a note-taking accommodation, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Professor notes - Check whether professor notes/slides are sufficient.
- Often, professors make their lecture notes available online either via the myWPI site or through an individual course website.
- Professors can also use Echo 360 Lecture Capture which takes video of the lecture hall, a computer screen, and/or a document camera. The entire lecture is then posted online for student use.
- Volunteer note taker - If professor notes are not available or sufficient, you can then request a volunteer note taker.
- The volunteer is usually another student in the class who will share their class notes with you. The volunteer will have no knowledge of which student needs accommodations and will work directly with the EPC.
- An email will be sent to the entire class (including yourself) asking for a volunteer note taker for an accommodated student.
- The volunteer will then go through a brief training which will inform them how to create high-quality notes.
- The notes will then be scanned and emailed to the EPC by the volunteer on a daily basis.
- The notes will be emailed to you when they are received by the EPC staff.
If you have read all of the above information and need to request a note taker for your course, please fill out the form below.