First Year Residence
The first residence hall built on campus, Sanford Riley dates back to 1927. Sanford Riley Hall houses WPI's Little Theatre for theatrical productions and Riley Commons for university events and programs. Riley Hall houses 188 students in Single, Double, Triple, and Quad occupancy rooms.
Scroll down page for residence hall photos.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who lives in Sanford Riley Hall?
- This is a first year student building.
- Innovations Residential Community students.
How many student staff members are in the building?
6 Resident Advisors (RAs) work in Sanford Riley Hall.
What type of building is Sanford Riley Hall?
- A corridor style building with shared bedrooms.
- There are single, double, triple, and quad style bedrooms.
What are the amenities in the building?
- Common room lounge areas located on the first, second, and third floors
- 2 gendered bathrooms on each floor
- Laundry facilities located in the basement level of Daniels Hall.
- Elevator access
- TV/tech equipped lounges
Is a residential meal plan required in Sanford Riley Hall?
Residents of Sanford Riley are required to have a residential meal plan – either a 14, 19, 200 or VIP plan.
What is provided for furniture/appliances?
- Bedrooms are outfitted with a bed, desk, desk chair, wardrobe, and dresser for each resident.
- Some triple and quad style rooms have closets instead of wardrobes.
- All WPI furniture must remain in the room.
- Sanford Riley wardrobes have a shelf, hanging bar for clothes, and a door.
- Common rooms are outfitted with soft seating (for example – couches, chairs, etc.).
- Internet access/cable
Can beds be de-lofted?
- Beds in Sanford Riley Hall are able to be bunked. Residents need to ask for pins to bunk the bed, but are responsible for un-bunking the bed at the end of the year and returning the pins to the office.
- Beds cannot be lofted and lofting equipment is not provided.
Does Sanford Riley Hall have air conditioning?
Sanford Riley Hall does not have air conditioning in the building. Residents are encouraged to bring fans for their space. Personal air conditioners are not permitted.