First Year Residence
Institute Hall houses 90 students in single, double, triple, and quad occupancy rooms. Three RAs work in the building to foster an inclusive environment. It is located next to Founders Hall and the Goat’s Head Restaurant.
Scroll down page for residence hall photos.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who lives in Institute Hall?
This is a first year student building.
How many student staff members are in the building?
3 Resident Advisors (RAs) work in Institute Hall.
What type of building is Institute Hall?
- A corridor style building with shared bedrooms.
- There are double, triple, and quad style bedrooms.
What are the amenities in the building?
- Common room lounge areas located on the garden level with TV/tech connections and a smaller study lounge on the second floor
- 2 multi-use bathrooms on each floor and 2 single use bathrooms on the garden level of the building
- Laundry facilities are located on the garden level
- Elevator access
- Two dining locations, Goat’s Head Restaurant and On the Go Convenience, on the first floor of Founders Hall.
Is a residential meal plan required in Institute Hall?
Residents of Institute are required to have a residential meal plan – either a 14, 19, 200 or VIP plan.
What is provided for furniture/appliances?
- Bedrooms are outfitted with a bed, desk, desk chair, wardrobe, and dresser for each resident.
- Institute wardrobes have a shelf, hanging bar for clothes, and a door.
- All WPI furniture must remain in the room.
- Common rooms are outfitted with soft seating (for example – couches, chairs, etc.).
- Internet access/cable
Can beds be de-lofted?
- Beds in Institute Hall are bunked. Residents are NOT allowed to de-loft beds, or remove them from their bunked setup. If residents do so they will incur a damage billing fee to their student account.
- Only students with an accommodation through the Office of Disability Services will receive permission to have their beds de-lofted by professional movers.
Does Institute Hall have air conditioning?
Institute Hall does not have air conditioning in the building. Residents are encouraged to bring fans for their space. Personal air conditioners are not permitted.