My parents are divorced / separated and they share custody, which is considered the Noncustodial Parent?

Answer:  General federal aid guidelines state that the parent with which the student lives the most is considered the custodial parent and that is the parent that should be filing the FAFSA.  If the parents state that the student lives with each parent an exact equal amount of time in a year then the next measure is which parent provides more financial support for the student, therefore if time is equally split between both parents then the parent providing the most financial support would be the custodial parent and the parent that should be filling out the FAFSA.

WPI also requires the CSS Profile application for financial aid.  We require a CSS Profile from both the Custodial and Noncustodial parent.

FAQ References