C-Term/Spring 2019 Academic Technology Center Services
Department(s):Academic Technology Center
Happy Holidays from the Academic Technology Center! As B-Term comes to a close, your Academic Technology team is here to help you be prepared for 2019!
- Canvas requests, workshops, & other news
- Video publishing, storage, & sharing
- Lecture capturing
- Web conferencing
- Classroom engagement & survey tools
- Contact Us
Canvas requests, workshops, & help
Please use our form for all Canvas site requests:
This includes adding TAs or staff to your course site, copying content from a previous term, merging sections into one site, or creating a new organization site for your project, group, or department.
*If you have a course with a CRN in Banner, a site will be generated automatically for you within Canvas. No need to take the time to request these!*
In case you missed the B-term announcement, OneDrive is now active in Canvas!
Have you been running low on storage space in your Canvas courses? ITS recently deployed OneDrive cloud storage to the WPI community. OneDrive is now fully integrated into each of your Canvas courses, so you can easily share files with your students in a variety of ways without using up your Canvas file storage.
Check out your access to OneDrive, and simple step-by-step documentation on using OneDrive with Canvas in the new WPI Portal: https://hub.wpi.edu
Need a Canvas refresher, or are you new to Canvas?
Contact email@example.com to set up a one-on-one training with one of our experts, or sign up for one of our upcoming workshops.
Video publishing, storage & sharing options
WPI has a variety of ways to share videos with students. Our online video platform, Ensemble provides storage, playlist functionality, public sharing links, and embedding options for your Canvas course site.
We also have a new video platform called Arc that provides additional interactivity options for use within Canvas.
Arc's functionality includes screen recording, webcam recording, and auto-captioning. Since Arc is native to your Canvas site, students can easily collaborate and comment real-time on videos, as well as complete video project assignments that can be easily graded in Canvas’ Gradebook. A new in-video quizzing tool will also be introduced this year to Arc.
Contact Sophie Jagannathan at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on using Arc or Ensemble.
Are you interested in having your course recorded with Echo360 lecture capture technology?
If you are interested in recording your lectures, either from a WPI classroom or using your own computer, please fill out the request form here: http://www.wpi.edu/+echorequest
Lecture capturing allows you to record camera video, graphics display (such as Powerpoint) and your voice so that you can share it with your students. Find out more information about lecture capturing on our EdMedia blog.
Contact Sophie Jagannathan at email@example.com for more information about lecture capturing with Echo360.
If you are interested in:
- Bringing a guest speaker to your classroom
- Getting your students in touch with remote project sponsors
- Giving your students a live tool to share and discuss ideas
- Online, live lecturing tools
…you may be interesting in learning about Zoom, our web-conferencing tool. Zoom supports video and voice chat, integrated telephony, screen sharing and collaboration tools, and many more features.
To get started with Zoom, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Classroom engagement & surveys
Poll Everywhere: Web based polling where students use their phone, tablets, and laptops to answer questions, used for lecture engagement, quizzing, and tests.
- Interested in using Poll Everywhere and do not currently have access? Please use the Polling Request form.
- Would you like to learn more about Poll Everywhere? Join us for Poll Everywhere open office hours on Tuesday, January 8th between 9am-11am in the Library ATC office (GL225).
Will your students be creating surveys and collecting data?
WPI has a site license for the fully featured Qualtrics Research suite. No need to use "free" online services for your surveys!
For more information or to schedule a training on Qualtrics, contact email@example.com
Got a question or a problem? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to help find a solution.
- The ATC-TTL office is located in Gordon Library 225. Our door is always open, come visit us during our office hours, 8am - 5pm, Mon-Fri. If you're not on campus, connect with us online!
- Canvas blog - Get important Canvas updates, new features, and help resources
- TTL Blog - Academic Technology resources, workshops, and discover new tech tools for teaching
- Follow us on Twitter: @atc_ttl
We hope everyone has a safe, relaxing holiday and a very happy new year!