COVID and Thanksgiving Break
- COVID and flu are expected to rise this winter.
- Pick up free COVID tests from the mailroom or Wedge vending machine and test before you leave campus for Thanksgiving and again before you return.
- Get vaccinated and boosted.
- Wear a mask if you have cold symptoms to protect others.
- Stay informed.
Dear WPI Community,
Thanksgiving break is next week, and we hope you are looking forward to spending time with family and friends. The CDC predicts a moderate wave of COVID and flu infections this winter, and we tend to see a surge in cases on campus when we come back together after a holiday or term/semester break.
We ask that you take the following simple steps to help protect yourself and others:
Take several test kits with you when you leave campus for Thanksgiving: Pick up free test kits from the mailroom in the Campus Center or the vending machine in The Wedge so you can test before leaving campus and again before you return—or if you have any symptoms.
- Test before you leave to help keep friends and family safe.
- Test again 24 hours before you return to campus.
- Anyone who tests positive for COVID is expected to follow CDC isolation guidelines, stay home, and wear a mask. Follow the WPI instructions here as well:
Get vaccinated: If you haven’t gotten a flu or COVID vaccine, do it now. The latest vaccines provide better protection against the most recent COVID and flu variants. Keeping up to date with vaccinations helps prevent the spread of illness. Check www.vaccines.gov to find a vaccine clinic nearby.
Wear a mask: Masks reduce viral transmission. While it’s not mandatory, it’s recommended that you wear a mask in indoor spaces whenever you feel sick and when COVID case numbers rise, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or concerns.
If you have questions or concerns, please review WPI’s COVID-19 FAQs.
Thank you for helping to keep our campus community healthy. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving break!
WPI Public Health Team