How can I help my student connect socially on campus?
It can definitely be nerve-wracking to meet new people, but we know that the more connected a student is on campus, the better their grades, and the healthier they are. Here are just a few of the ways your student can find out what’s happening on campus:
- Social Media: The Student Activities Office is on Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook—encourage your student to follow their accounts (as well as those of their favorite organizations) for the latest campus happenings.
- Campus-wide Bulletin Boards and Display Screens: All bulletin boards and screens across campus are regularly updated with upcoming events and activities.
- Regular Ongoing Events: Several programs and activities are held on a regular basis and are open to all, including:
- Friday Night Gaming with the Science Fiction Society
- Central Rock Gym trips every Friday with the Outing Club
- Saturday night video game tournaments hosted by the Video Game Club from 7pm-midnight
- Pickleball pickup games on Wednesdays and Sundays
- LEGO Club build sessions on Sundays from 1-2pm
- A weekly art time led by the Art and Design Club
- Cheese Club meets every other Friday at 5pm
- SocComm hosts various events and movie nights on Saturdays and Sundays
If your student needs help getting connected, encourage them to reach out to the Student Activities Office (SAO) on the third floor of the Campus Center or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org; the team would love to help them find clubs and organizations that meet their needs and interests. ProjectConnect and groups that vary from term to term from the Student Development & Counseling Center are other great connection points; students may reach out to the SDCC at email@example.com for more information.