The Republic of Panama forms a link between Central and South America and is world-famous for the engineering marvel of the Panama Canal. Panama City itself is the most cosmopolitan capital in Latin America. The combination of colonial ruins, modern high-rise office buildings, luxury homes, and informal settlements reflects the blend of cultures, eras, and economic levels that are found in the city. Since 2009 students have pursued project in Panama City focusing on sustainability, wildlife management, and addressing social inequality.
Past Panama City students have:
• Worked to increase access to drinking water in informal settlements
• Worked with the Panamanian National Airline to reduce aircraft bird strikes at Tocumen International Airport
• Developed sustainable composting plans with the housing provider
• Developed management plans for a park situated on Latin America's most important archaeological site
• Designed a robotics curriculum for an NGO that works with Panamanian schoolchildren