San Juan, Puerto Rico Project Center - IQP
Established in 1992, the Puerto Rico Project Center offers an opportunity to be immersed in a Caribbean culture that is a unique blend of Indigenous, Spanish and North American influences. Located in San Juan, the Center offers the attractions of a large metropolitan area within easy reach of El Yunque National Park Rainforest, white sand beaches, the historic El Morro Spanish fortress, Arecibo Observatory, and many other sites of interest.
Starting in 2023 the project center has emphasized projects that give students exciting cross-cultural experiences working with local organizations to support community sustainability and well-being and Puerto Rico's resilience to climate change. Students have opportunities to collaborate with area experts, community organizers, residents, and community "co-researchers" who work closely with students on certain projects. Students will also have opportunities to work at and participate in social and cultural activities (music, art, dance, food, yoga...) and volunteer on "work brigades" with our core community partner, Taller Comunidad La Goyco, at their "rescued school" community center.
PRPC students have recently:
- Worked with local partners like La Goyco on "rescued school" projects to envision and develop community centers and services at abandoned public schools;
- Facilitated participatory design processes for an arts-based cafe and a small community park;
- Developed educational games to support mangrove reforestation efforts on San Juan Bay;
- Evaluated the feasibility of recycling glass at Caño Martín Peña, establishing a composting facility in Cantera, and the potential for solar power and rainwater harvesting in Cubuy;
- Supported non-profit volunteer programs and other operational activities with various non-profit groups;
- Helped local museums and groups strengthen and share their art and cultural heritage with others near and far.
Learn more about past projects on the Project Center's website: Puerto Rico Project Center Website.