"[Perhaps at my first job] they'll give me a project and say, 'Figure out how to do this.' Since I've already done critical thinking and seen how a project can change, it will be easier. I won't need someone to tell me exactly what to do or how to do it." Isabella Garver '18
Solve Problems. Make an impact. Become the expert.
From the first to last day, you can find opportunities to perform research at WPI. Ask around or talk to your academic advisor to find opportunities that will suit your interests. A willingness and passion for doing research as an undergraduate will lead to life-changing experiences.
Building Landmine-locating Drones
"I'd wanted to do something that has a big global impact. It's a great feeling to have an impact on peoples' lives directly...I learned a lot more than electrical engineering." Nicholas Lanotte '19
Questions to Keep in Mind
How do I find an MQP research project in my major that matches my interests?
- You can view available project proposals and faculty advisors by searching the MQP opportunities in eProjects 2.0. Some departments also have presentation sessions where faculty describe possible MQP projects. You should also feel free to pitch your own ideas to individual faculty members!
Can I do research outside my major?
- Yes! While your MQP has to be in your major, you can complete other research in any discipline you choose.
- Can I do research separate from my MQP? Can I do this before my senior year?
What should I ask my advisor about research opportunities?
- Ask if independent research would fit your academic plan if you’re interested.
- Ask how your MQP choices can impact your career path.
- Will I get paid for my research?