WPI’s Management Engineering (MGE) major offers the ability to gain depth in management principles while still being able to focus on technical interests. Graduates of this program go on to apply their complex knowledge of management and engineering to design and deliver solutions for manufacturing, product development, and service delivery.
Students take the required management courses and select six others that fit with their career objectives. They may choose to focus on a technical area in one department outside of management or combine courses from several technical areas that fit with their goals.
The MGE major allows students who begin in one discipline, such as engineering, science, or mathematics, to switch majors without losing too much of their prior coursework. The program is also well-suited to those seeking a double major.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor’s: $52,650
- Master’s: N/A
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary reported by the NACE Salary Survey : $63,061
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that Have Hired WPI Management Engineers
- DPS Engineering
- EMC Corporation
- Juniper Networks
- UnitedHealth Group
- U.S. Army
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Applications Engineer
- Business Analyst
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Operations Team Leader
- Project Engineer
- Sales Engineer
- Supply Chain Coordinator
Sample Graduate Schools
- Johns Hopkins University
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- Alpha Pi Mu Honor Society
- Institute of Industrial Engineering (IIE): WPI Chapter, Professional Association
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Science (INFORMS)
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Associations for Operations Management (APICS): WPI Chapter, Worcester Chapter
- American Society for Quality (ASQ)
- Lean Enterprise Institute (LEI)
- LeanCor Supply Chain Group
- Decision Sciences Institute (DSI)
Sample MQP titles
- WPI Venture Forum: A Market Analysis
- Roof Loss Control Analysis for the Hanover Insurance Group
- Bindings to Business: A Look into Technical Transfer in the University Setting
- Waste and Environmental Management
- Developing a Credit Dashboard
- Workflow and Issue Management
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Collection for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Management Engineers
Visit MyPlan for a list of more industries.