At WPI, we believe strongly in giving back to our local community, and encourage all our students to make a difference through the many opportunities right here in our backyard. With support from the university, you can meet new people, help others, and even earn work-study funds at the same time.
In addition to participating in community service through an organization they’re a part of, students can also use community service hours as part of their work-study.
Below are a handful of ways you can give back, but students are also encouraged to email the Student Activities Office (SAO) if they’d like to plan their own service project with their group or organization or try something new.
- Volunteer on a weekly basis. Download the Community Service Work Study Handbook (PDF) to explore the wide range of positions available at nearby organizations. Open to all WPI students, these positions are also pre-approved for those looking to fulfill their entire work-study allocation with community service work.
- Help with a one-time event. Want to spend a small amount of time yet make a big difference? Looking to complete your required 15 hours of service as a Federal Work-Study recipient? Find an event that’s right for you on the Community Service calendar.
- Become a youth Exploradream tutor/mentor. Volunteer for Exploradream and help local inner-city kids, ages 8-13, by assisting them with homework, exposing them to college life, and serving as a mentor. For information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
We have answers. Email us, call us at 508-831-5291, or stop by the Student Activities Office, located in Room 327 of the Campus Center.
Community Service Award
The Edwin B. Coghlin ’23 Award for Community Service is presented annually to a student or students who, through their involvement in community service activities, has made valuable contributions to WPI and the Worcester community.
Don’t Forget to Report Your Hours
- Students completing 15 hours of community service per week should complete the Community Service Work Study Completion Form (PDF)
- Students earning all work study funds through community service will fill out a weekly timesheet that can then be handed in to the Student Activities Office