100 Institute Road, Worcester MA, 01609
Built in 1907 and named for a radio pioneer and member of WPI’s class of 1900, Atwater Kent Laboratories was the first building in the country dedicated to education in electrical engineering. Seen from the air, it resembles the letter E (for electrical engineering). From the ground, it is equally impressive, most notably for its large brick arch that once served as an entrance for an electric railway test car.
Today Atwater Kent houses the departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Robotics Engineering and is packed with labs and workstations focused on research in areas including wireless information networks, cryptography and information security, analog and digital microelectronics, network operations, computer vision, human-robot interaction, soft robotics, and machine learning.