Immediately notify the High School Scholarship Program in writing or email if your name, current mailing address, social security number, telephone number or email address changes during the application process.

  • I have questions concerning Air Force ROTC scholarships. What’s the best resource?

    All of the information you need can be found here.

  • What are the weight and fitness standards?

    To apply for the scholarship, you must complete the Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA). For instructions, refer to the website where you can apply online.

    If you are offered a scholarship, you must meet the Air Force Weight Standards prior to activating the scholarship.

    If you are offered a scholarship, you must also meet the Air Force Physical Fitness Test (PFT) Standards prior to activating the scholarship. You must perform this test within a few days of starting your freshman year in college.

  • What are the vision standards?

    The refractive error in each eye cannot exceed +/- 8.00 diopters. Also, both eyes must be free of any disfiguring or incapacitating abnormality and acute or chronic disease. A history of corneal surgical procedures such as radial keratotomy (RK), even if refractive error improves, disqualifies you for Air Force ROTC. EXCEPTION: A history of photo refractive keratectomy (PRK) does not automatically disqualify you from entry; however, certain criteria must be met before being medically certified. Adequate color vision is a prerequisite to entry into many Air Force specialties.

  • I do not have 20/20 vision. Can I still fly?

    It depends. Check out the Flying Requirements for more information.

  • Do I have to major in Aeronautical Science to become a pilot or combat systems officer?

    No. Your academic major plays a minor role in pilot and combat systems officer selection. You can major in any degree program and compete to receive a pilot or combat systems officer slot in Air Force ROTC. You can even be on an Air Force ROTC scholarship in an engineering or science major and compete on an equal basis for a flying position.

  • Will I be behind my fellow nonmilitary graduates after I complete my service obligation and decide to get out?

    No. In fact, many companies prefer to hire former officers over new college graduates (even those with master’s degrees). Your Air Force experience, the management skills you have gained on active duty and your active-duty educational benefits can give you the competitive edge you need.

  • What are the age limits for a cadet to compete for a pilot or combat systems officer position?

    To compete for the pilot or combat systems officer categories, you must be able to complete your bachelor’s degree and be commissioned through Air Force ROTC before you are 29 years old.

  • Will I need to take a medical exam?

    If you are selected to receive a scholarship, you will be scheduled to complete a medical examination. Scholarship winners and their parents are advised that NO SCHOLARSHIP WILL BE ACTIVATED UNTIL THE INDIVIDUAL IS MEDICALLY QUALIFIED FOR A COMMISSION. The process is lengthy and may involve several months of processing and correspondence.

    The Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DODMERB) is the medical certification agency for Air Force ROTC scholarships. Scholarship winners will be scheduled for an examination by DODMERB and DODMERB will determine whether or not the individual is medically qualified for a commission. If you are found to be medically disqualified, but believe there are extenuating circumstances that justify consideration of a waiver of our medical standards, you should follow the DODMERB instructions (with the notification letter) regarding rebuttals and waiver processing. In such cases, DODMERB will discuss your case with AETC/SGPS, the medical waiver authority, to determine if a waiver to the standards is feasible. The final decision is based on the nature of your condition or defect and specific medical parameters and protocols that have been established.

    For those selected to receive a scholarship, DODMERB will send you complete instructions. If you cannot meet the scheduled date, request another date. As a candidate, you are responsible for all costs of travel, food and lodging related to the medical examination and personal interview. If you wear hard contact lenses, remove them a minimum of 21 days before the examination; remove soft lenses 72 hours before the examination. Once you have been scheduled for an examination, if you have a medical question, DODMERB is your only official source of information.

  • Do I have to wear a uniform to class every day?

    The only time cadets are required to wear their uniform is during Leadership Lab, once a week, as well as during their respective weekly Air Force class. Occasionally, during special events you may be required to wear your uniform as well. Otherwise, wear whatever you want.

  • How are new cadets treated?

    Very well. Many detachments assign cadet sponsors to new students. They can help students find classes, get textbooks, learn to wear the uniform correctly, meet other cadets and learn basic customs and courtesies. It is also the responsibility of the cadet's flight commander to help new cadets fit into the program. Many detachments also have tutoring programs and other forms of assistance. Hazing is not permitted! You will find the cadet staff and detachment staff are concerned about your well-being and progress.

  • What is the commitment to the Air Force upon graduation?

    Most officers have a four-year commitment. For pilots it is 10 years after pilot training, and six years for combat systems officers after training. Air Battle Managers have a six-year commitment. Additional information can be found here.

  • Can I pursue graduate education after I’m commissioned?

    The Air Force is education-oriented and financially supports graduate studies. You can apply for the Air Force Institute of Technology to earn an advanced degree on full scholarship. Additionally, most bases have graduate college programs, and you may apply for the tuition assistance program that pays 100% of the tuition cost.

  • How much time do I have to spend with Air Force ROTC each week?

    The only required time is during your Air Force ROTC classes, Leadership Lab and physical fitness training. Five hours for Freshman/Sophomores (1hr class + 2 hrs LLAB + 2 hrs mandatory PT); Seven hours for Juniors/Seniors (same as above, but with 3 hrs of class time).

  • Do I have to cut my hair?

    Hair must be kept in accordance with Air Force guidelines when in uniform.

  • How much marching and drilling will I have to do?

    Not as much as you think. Marching/drill is sometimes practiced during your squadron time at Leadership Laboratory. There are no mandatory drill sessions outside of LLAB.

  • Am I expected to participate in any extracurricular activities?

    Your first and foremost concern is attending classes and maintaining good grades. After this, you will certainly want to examine some of the various activities sponsored by both your university and Air Force ROTC. There is something in our program of interest to everyone.

  • Can I participate in intercollegiate athletics while a member of the Air Force ROTC program?

    Yes. Generally, extracurricular campus activities and Air Force ROTC are perfectly compatible – as long as you do not overload yourself with extracurricular activities. A serious physical injury while participating in intercollegiate or intramural athletic activities may cause you to be un-enrolled from Air Force ROTC because of a change in your physical profile.

  • When do I know what job I will be doing for the Air Force as an officer?

    You will compete in a selection process much like the one of an enrollment allocation as an officer candidate. The factors to be used will include your Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT) scores, your camp performance rating, your Grade Point Average (GPA), your academic major, your Physical Fitness Test (PFT) score and the Detachment Commander's rating. You will know your specific Air Force job category approximately six months before you are commissioned.

  • Do I have to become a pilot or combat systems officer?

    No. The vast majority of Air Force jobs do not involve flying at all. In the civilian world there are thousands of jobs and careers – doctors, lawyers, law enforcement, engineers, financial careers, food-service management – the list is endless. For almost every civilian out in the workforce, there is an Air Force officer counterpart performing a similar job. For more information about the many careers available, check out our Careers section.

  • When do I actually receive my commission as an Air Force officer?

    Cadets normally get commissioned in a special ceremony, which often is on the same day they graduate. You can usually expect to enter active duty about 30 days after graduation. Please note that there may occasionally be instances where you may have to wait more than 30 days after graduation to enter into active duty.

  • Must a student go on active duty in the Air Force immediately following graduation and commissioning?

    Not necessarily. You may request an educational delay if you desire to attend graduate school at your own expense before going on active duty. If approved, the Air Force will postpone your active-duty tour. Delays are routinely provided if you select to attend dental or medical school. Scholarships also exist for students accepted to medical school.

  • Can I continue my education beyond the baccalaureate level?

    Yes. The Air Force offers several opportunities to do so. In many cases you can request an educational delay. This delay between the time of commissioning and reporting for active duty will be of sufficient length to allow you to fulfill the requirements for a professional or masters degree. You will assume all financial obligations. There are also Air Force Institute of Technology programs where the Air Force pays for your graduate school education. These programs are explained in detail in Air Force ROTC.