WPI’s fundamental and applied research is addressing vital societal problems and technological challenges and producing innovations and insights that are helping build a better world.
Thank you for your interest in WPI’s Presidential Fellowship. We accept applications for Presidential Fellowship each year from the Fall through January 1 for consideration for the award to begin in the Fall thereafter. We announce each year’s Fellows in April.
The objective of the program is to offer doctoral fellowships to underrepresented women and minority students working in science, technology, engineering, math, or business disciplines. Presidential Fellows will receive a $31,200 stipend for 12 months, in addition to full tuition. Through their doctoral work, fellows will elevate the research profile of the university and find new ways to solve some of the biggest challenges of our time.
- Supports graduate students as they pursue their PhD program
- Provides exclusive training opportunities and professional development workshops
- Includes access to additional travel funding
Sample research areas tied to the university’s research themes and strategic plan
- a U.S. citizen
- a student of exceptional merit (must meet and exceed standard WPI PhD admission requirements)
- a person from an underrepresented group working in a science, technology, engineering, math, or business discipline
Admissions Information & Deadline:
To be considered for a Presidential Fellowship, you must apply to a WPI PhD program by January 1. After you have submitted your application, please send an email with "Presidential Fellowship" as the subject line to email@example.com and we will forward your application to the review committee.
Find your passion. Change the world.
Melissa M., a PhD student in Biology and Biotechnology at WPI, tells the story of how she found a passion for saving the bees, during a time of steep decline in populations. “What motivates me is that I want to make a difference in this world.”