Grounded in technology, design, and business disciplines, the online Master’s in Innovation with User Experience (IUX) program is designed to deliver a highly qualified and competitive workforce for the IT industry. The WPI Business School has world-class expertise and resources in UX and is ideally positioned to prepare students as UX professionals and set them on a path to take on leaderships positions such as chief experience officers (CXO).
UX-driven innovations are no longer a luxury, but a must for maintaining competitive advantage in the marketplace. The continual demand for innovative technologies in our daily lives, both at personal and organizational level, is intensified by the continually increasing pace of our digital economy. Tech companies must ensure that their products are successfully embraced and effectively used by their intended users at home and at work. To achieve this goal, competition in the IT industry has shifted toward developing an outstanding user experience (UX).
Innovative companies know UX is key to gaining and retaining customers. Become a UX specialist and meet the growing demand for professionals who work with product designers, game designers, and technology designers to deliver exceptional user experiences. Get there by joining our online Master's in Innovation with User Experience graduate program, one of the first such programs in the nation with faculty with UX expertise who provide IUX skills and experiences to professionals with a variety of backgrounds.
A Premier STEM Business Degree, More Affordable Tuition
There is a pressing need for engineers, scientists, and coders with business acumen and management skills. WPI is committed to making STEM education more attainable, and The Business School is doing its part by reducing its tuition for graduate programs. Today, a premier degree from WPI’s business school is more affordable than ever—meaning you can see a high return on investment from your degree even sooner.
The Business School, established at a premier technology-focused university, has world-class expertise and educational resources in technology and business, and thus is suitably poised to offer valuable graduate-level programs that prepare students to apply entrepreneurial thinking and transform into leadership roles.
The online Masters in Innovation with User Experience prepares students for working in advanced technological environments where they apply the UX driven innovation (UXDI) framework to help their companies develop competitive products and services. Gain skills for careers in product design, user experience design, user experience engineering, interaction design, human factors in computing, and web and mobile app design.
In our project-based, asynchronous online learning environment, students will:
Gain needed skills for designing competitive human-centered technologies.
Gain foundational knowledge in design thinking, design science, and the UX-driven innovation (UXDI) framework for developing technological innovations (e.g., smart and connected systems, robots, AR/VR applications) for homes and work environments.
Develop and execute plans for gaining a deep understanding about user needs.
Develop and execute plans for discovering opportunities for creating business and social value with UX driven innovations.
Develop and execute plans for designing and evaluating the discovered UX-driven innovation opportunities.
Develop advanced skills in focused area(s) of interest through the specialties offered in this program such as Applied Analytics, Understanding User for Developing and Delivering IUX, Managing and Organizing Innovation, IUX Research, System Design for IUX, and others.
Capstone experience enables students to revise, integrate, and apply their knowledge and skills through a large project.
Admissions Qualifications for Master’s in Innovation with User Experience
- BS or BA degree from an accredited school, in any discipline, with a GPA of > 3.0
- GMAT/GRE’s are not required for this program
For specific application requirements, visit our admissions for online programs page.
If you do not have a bachelor's degree, please view our list of undergraduate programs.
The WPI Business School
Join us for an upcoming webinar! Experts from The Business School will highlight curriculum plans, specialties, next steps, the support you'll receive from student success, the graduate student community, and more.
Connect with Business School Student
Interested in one of our graduate programs? Students from the WPI Business School will participate in online sessions so prospective students (like you!) can connect and learn about their experience coming to WPI. Ask them anything regarding the application process, obtaining a visa and coming to the US (if applicable), life on campus, housing options, specific program of interest, classes, internships, fun things to do in Worcester and the surrounding area, and more! Register to take advantage of this unique opportunity.
Sessions will be held the following WEDNESDAYS 11:00-11:45 AM ET
January 31, 2024
The UI UX master’s online is a 33-credit program, designed as a stackable, professional master’s degree. As such, it involves a realistic capstone project. The MS IUX also serves as an entry to the PhD program in the WPI Business School, and thus allows for research credits (with permission of the IUX program director).
Students will gain specialized knowledge in the following areas/specialties:
- System Design. Prepares students for designing advanced technologies that utilize data science approaches such as business intelligence and machine learning.
- Applied Analytics. Prepares students for careers involving information retrieval, data curation, and data analysis.
- Marketing. Prepares students for developing product management strategies that take advantage of consumer analytics.
Subject to change based on availability.
View academic term start dates for online courses.
Students must complete the three-course core as follows:
- MIS 583. User Experience Applications
- MIS 585. User Experience Design
- MIS 586. User Experience Methods
Students must complete two three-course specialties, selected from the following specialties:
Brands, Products and Consumers
- MKT 500. Marketing Strategy
- MKT 561. Consumer Behavior and Analytics
- MKT 569. Product and Brand Management
System Design (Select any 3; The first three are online; the others, which are not FBS courses, may not be available online)
- MIS 500. Innovating with Information Systems
- MIS 571. Database Applications Design and Development
- MIS 582. Information Security Design and Management
- IMGD 5000. Game Design Studio
- IMGD 5300. Design of Interactive Experiences
- RBE/CS 526. Human-Robot Interaction
- RBE 595. Synergy of Human and Robot Systems
- WR 593. Robot Futures: Design, Ethics, Communication
Applied Analytics (Select any 3)
- MIS 502. Data Management for Analytics
- MIS 584. Business Intelligence
- MIS 587. Business Applications in Machine Learning
- OIE 559. Optimization for Business Analytics
- DS 501. Introduction to Data Science
- DS 502. Statistical Methods for Data Science
- or, MA 511. Applied Statistics for Engineers and Scientists
Organizing and Managing Innovation (Select any 3)
- FIN 500. Financial Management
- ETR 500. Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- ETR 593. Technology Commercialization
- MIS 576. Project Management
- OBC 533. Negotiations
- OBC 537. Leading Change