Application for Data Science 'Smart Communities' Summer Research Opportunities for Undergraduates are FILLED
2016 REU Applications are filled. Try again next year!
COMMUNITIES' RESEARCH PROGRAM
Come and join us for a better future!
WHO: Undergraduate students
WHAT: Research in Data Science
WHEN: May 22 - July 30th, 2016
SPONSORED BY: National Science Foundation # CNS-1560229
IN A NUTSHELL:
The WPI Data Science Program is offering a 10 week Summer Research Program for undergraduates interested in Data Science.
Students will have the chance to conduct research in many areas relevant to today's Data Science field as it applies to "Smart Communities."
These areas include research in data analytics, sustainability, mobile health, security, smart transportation, big data infrastructures, machine learning, and so much more. Students chosen for the program will work with renowned WPI faculty and graduate student mentors.
At the program's completion, research projects will be on display in an Open Poster Session at WPI and possibly at scholarly venues, such as conferences.
This program will help students learn about research and increase their chances of acceptance to graduate school and a rewarding professional career.
REU 'SMART COMMUNITIES' STUDENTS RECEIVE:
$5,000 stipend or $500/week for 10 weeks
Free on-campus apartment style housing
Weekly food allowance
Up to $600 for travel cost reimbursement
REU 'SMART COMMUNITIES' ACTIVITIES:
- Students work with state-of-the art data science techniques and software
- Weekly group lunches include presentations from CS graduate students, technical presentations, research discussions, and more.
- Field trips to great New England destinations
REU 'SMART COMMUNITY' PROGRAM ACCOMPLISHES:
- Students work diligently with a WPI faculty member to complete a research project.
- Weekly oral progress reports are given to the research group.
- At the end of the program, students demonstrate their research results before VIP guests in a conference-like format.
REU 'SMART COMMUNITY' RESEARCH AREAS:
In your application, please select topics of interest if you have any preferences, which may for example include:
1. SUSTAINABILITY: Smart Commuting - Economy Prosperity - Smart Energy Consumption
2. HEALTH: Personalized Medicine - Healthcare Exchanges - Wellness Promotion -
Spread of Infection and Disease Forcasting
3. SAFETY: Crime Prediction - Bio-surveillance - Anomaly Detection - Cyber Security
4. BIG DATA: Infrastructures, Tools and Techniques and Formal Foundations
REU 'SMART COMMUNITY' ELIGIBILITY:
- All students, per requirement of the National Science Foundation, MUST be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Preference given to sophomore and juniors for fall 2016 who have had some computer science and/or mathematics course background.
- Females and underrepresented minority students are encouraged to apply.
REU 'SMART COMMUNITIES' APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Applicants must complete the online application packet on the REU site.
- Applicants provide the names and email addresses for two references, preferably faculty, in the online application form who will provided letters of recommendation submitted also via the REU site.
- Attach an (informal) transcript to the online student application form.
- All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be submitted by the March 28th, 2016 deadline.
Please submit your application material online via our REU site, and similarly ask your two recommenders to go to our REU site to submit their application.
If you have questions about the REU, then please :